1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie with Panasonic/LG Quesion please help!!!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by chriseltham, Oct 31, 2004.

1. chriseltham

chriseltham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am going to buy a plasma screen and my choices are down to either LG RZ42PX11 or Panasonic TH-42PW6B Plasma Screen.

Basically i have a question with regards to connectivity. I will be running the following:

Sky Digibox
    Panasonic DVD player
    Sony AMP/Yahama AV Reciever
    Playstation 2
    Random VHS Video

The AV Reciever will be hooked up to 2 front floor mounted speakers and 2 wall rear speakers, a center and a subwoofer.

Firstly which boards/if any would i need for the Pana screen to work, would i just need the scart board? Forgive my ignorance im pretty new to Plasmas!!!

The main factor is im on a budget and dont want to go to much over it, i would love the Pana but cant afford it if i have to have 3 boards or so.....Thus why the LG is my second choice as it has all the connections already, Please give me some honest opinions guy/gals,

Kindest Regards,

Chris Eltham
    Managing Director
    Hyper Performance Limited

2. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    all you need is a Scart terminal board (included in the £1580 from av-sales)and a scart switch (£20 from argos)
    don't forget to buy plasma feet or a wall bracket (£50ish)

Don't buy the LG, cos its rubbish in comparison to the panny picture.

3. M@tt_UK

M@tt_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

like the sound of this, but would this give poor picture quality?

PWD6 + Argos switching box = £1600
    PWD6 + RGB to Plasma Screen VGA + VGA 15 pin HD to VGA 15 pin HD + 3 RCA to 3 BNC (component/RGB) = £1812 ish :eek:

So is it worth spending £232 on connections, would I really notice a massive difference?

Cheers

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I renonmend you get an AV amp that does video switching and the PW6 with Dual slot Component and Video board and pick up a scart board S/H SKy lack of Component output and S-video output on Stanards boxes is the main problem (Sky+ does have S-video outputs...........However as the panny PW6 will accept compont over the built in VGA socket and as long as DVD has Component out you can use DVD>VGA ans SKY>Scart Daisy chain other kit S-VHS, PS2 into back ot Sky box short trem..... the Pioneer VCXS402 and 501/2 amps are great as they have scart switching 3scart in and one scart out.....

5. M@tt_UK

M@tt_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to be dumb

At AV-sales, it looks like you cannot chose the dual board in the price or am I missing something?

Is it the last one "Component SVHS Composite BNC"?

would this work please

DVD to Plasma via Composite, Sky plugged into DVD Scart socket. Would Sky play through the DVD?

When I get Sky + then I could connect that via the SVideo connect on the Dual board, thats if the one above is a dual board, it's all soooooooo confusing :)

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Thats the one......
    You could do this but you would be better off with the Scart board.... ( inow its not as good as using converters etc.....
    OR MY top TIP is to BUY an apnny E55 DVDR which will convert SKY RGB to component (and allow you to live pause Sky using a DVD-RAM disc cued up) etc with E55 available for under £200 well worth the outlay over the Scart board £123..... then you just need a good scart lead from Sky to E55 and a component RCA to BNC lead AV-sales should be able to quote you for the lot £1580 for screen and input board (PW6) E55 £200 Mount £130 Cables £70......£1980 JOB done...... (assuming you have an AV amp.........

7. chriseltham

chriseltham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LOL,

I am soooo confused:

So basically i could just get the multi scart board with the Pana and everything could be wired up, but the picture wouldnt be as good as if i used other boards....how much different would the picutre be???

8. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Almost certainly not - DVDs generally only passthrough signals of the same connection - ie. SCART through SCART, not convert from SCART to Component.

BTW, you also need to add about £100 to your prices for a table stand or wall mount.

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Scart board can look soft (out of focus) is a useful board and 50% of the population wouldn't know a good Picture if it fell on them........ But the DVD recorder trick is very useful.............and now cost effective..........

10. M@tt_UK

M@tt_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your a Star Mr hornydragon thanks, I am starting to understand a little :)

I have a Panasonic SC HT 900 all in one system already, which will out-put component, it's just the most cost effective solution for connecting the Sky.

I don't mind spending money if it's worth it, but It I can get say 95% PQ for little outlay, I would not want to spend huge amounts for the last few %.

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    DVD recorder will convert RGB to component Panny E55/65/75/85/95 and 500 will So will most others with component out puts.............

MATT most cost effective system JS box or DVDR either will work as DVDR could connect to VGA socket on PW6 using a 3rca to 15pin D-sub (vga) lead and run SCHT900 into Component end of dual board using 3RCA to 3 BNC cable
    DVDR option gets my vote £220 for an MR E55 from AVsales and £30 for a cable compared to £125 for JS box and £80 for cables.....

12. M@tt_UK

M@tt_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

\ M@tt goes off to read about E55 now

Thanks a lot :)

13. M@tt_UK

M@tt_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    / M@tt's back with one more question, if I may

Does anyone know if my SCHT900 will do the same thing as the E55, eg Sky to SCHT900 via scart, then the Sky output through the SCHT900 via the Composite out-puts to the Plasma?

Thanks

14. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    If you want really cheap
    buy the PW6 from richersounds without boards for £1499
    Use the VGA input for component signal with a VGA to RGBHV BNC cable from ebay £6
    (you just connect the r-Pr, b-Pb, g-Y wires)
    feet or wall mount £60
    Total £1564 + component upconverting device of choice.
    (E55 is about £150 with discount codes, around somewhere from LXdirect)
    GRAND TOTAL £1714

Why do you guys all want him to buy a component board when the VGA socket accepts component??

Where did I say buy a JS box, I have one and it's not worth £125!

15. M@tt_UK

M@tt_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Thanks for that post pjclark1, very interesting :)

16. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Dont think so mate

17. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    OK good idea but very limited usability/connectivity I would never reconmend that anyone buy a PW6 from RS....... Or any other *NEW* Plasma in fact i would not reconmend RS to anyone if other oprions are viable.............NOR would i reconmend buying cables from Ebay OR a £60 wall mount for a £1500 peice of kit................
    NOT sure LX direct offer is still available and with MR E55 available for £220 stil a good offer, JS box might not in your opinoin be worth £125 but when compared to Panny Scart board £150 SRP (£30 gets you a decent 2m VGA lead) it is a hell of a lot better for PQ from Sky or Cable.................