Newbie with New setup - What to get

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by pody, Sep 18, 2007.

1. pody

pody
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Currently running an Infocus IN76, picture supplied from either Media Centre XP or Sky+ (currently deciding between PS3 or XBOX with HD). All I have for sound at the moment is a pair of half decent Sony Headphones.:thumbsdow

Loft Conversion is about 3.2m X 5.5m. Looking at installing a 5.1 system.
    Plan to spend about 600quid.

Was thinking about the entry level Onkyo or a Dennon at about 250-280?
    Some of these amps come with HDMI switching and upscaling, is this any good? (is it possible to switch analogue signals to HDMI too? This save running loads of cables to projector.
    Was thinking about Kef Cresta 3s for front prob biamped if amp is 7.1, mate mentioned these are a really great speaker for the money. The Kef Cresta for the centre and maybe another pair of Cresta 3s for the rear? Would leave some cash for a smallish sub or get a good secondhand one here cheaper?

I’ve had a look at the all in one packages but don’t like the look of the small satellite speakers.

All Help appreciated, not really got a clue on what would be best.

2. stringbean

stringbean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Onkyo 605 will do what you want for £400 (the 505 lacks HDMI audio).

I'm not too familiar with the Denons but I believe the lowest Denon with HDMI audio is the 2307 which is about the same price.

With the current (and upcoming) amps the following price bands apply:
    • Below £400 - HDMI switching only (sometimes without audio processing)
    • £400-1000 - HDMI upconversion (which is probably what you want)
    • £1000+ - HDMI upscaling

3. dazza74

dazza74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,394
    I'd say if your mainly interested in movies not games go with the PS3 over the Xbox with HD DVD, the PS3 is better speced with HDMI 1.3 just simply easier and means if you did buy the onkyo 605 it would work a treat being able to do everything via HDMI. If you could find another £300 i.e. budget of around £900 you could look at getting the 605 plus either the Q Acoustics 1000 or my Acoustic Enerygy Aego T speakers both these sets of speakers are at least 20cm in height so are a resonable size. Either way definitely find a budget of £400 to get the 605.