Newbie with Christmas present problems. Help please!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Pugger, Jan 14, 2004.

1. Pugger

Pugger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My wife was kind enough to buy me a Panasonic DMR 60 for Xmas along with NTL Digital TV. The Digi TV was put in on the 23rd of December without me knowing but I think its 4000i box. The NTL engineers had set it up with the Video recorder we had at the time. Off course I xmas morning I found out I had a brand new DVD player. I have tried my best to set it and have it working although I'm sure its not the best setup. I bought scart cables to connect it as I understand the RGB signal it can send gives much better quality. I have setup the Digi box and DVDR to the TV as such.

I have the AV1 on the DVD player going to the AV1 on my TV (Phillips 32WP6332). The Video out on the Digi box is connected to AV2 (VIDEO IN?) on the DVD player and Finally the TV out on the Digi box is connected to the AV2 on the TV.

Now the only reason I choose this setup (besides the fact it works) is everyone tells me to play DVD films through RGB and I know that my TV only plays RGB through AV1. So that why I've done it. However with my DVD recorder I would also like to record in the best format possible so am I recording in RGB with this setup or is it a complete botch. Finally NTL left no instructions with the Digi box but according to the spec from the pace website it does output RGB. Is the box setup to do this all the time or do I need to set the box to output RGB? If so anyone any ideas how?

Sorry this is such a mess but any help would be greatfully received.

Cheers

2. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The video out on the ntl box won't do RGB so you need to connect it like this:

NTL tv out -> E60 AV2
    E60 tv out -> TV AV1
    NTL vcr out -> TV AV2

You'll need to go to the setup menu for the NTL box to enable RGB. Also set up RGB for the E60 on AV1 and AV2.

When the E60 is recording analogue tv from your aerial, you need to use AV2 on your tv to watch NTL.

3. Pugger

Pugger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the quick reply Bobones it’s very much appreciated. I understand how to change the setting to RGB on the DVD but since NTL left no instructions with the Digi box I have no idea how to get to the Digi's boxes menu screen. I’ve tried messing with the buttons on the box itself and using the remote supplied. But have found nothing resembling a setup function. I have also downloaded the instructions for the box from PACE website, but this give no information whatsoever. I have also contacted NTL who have not supplied any information as yet. Any ideas oh how I can access the Function of the Digi box?

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Pugger you acess the ntl setup through remote its in the software I might be in guide, settings

5. Pugger

Pugger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Dragon, thanks for the info, I will try it out later. The instructions supllied with the Digi box are awful. Maybe NTL don't wish for people to botch with the box. Hinchly's, just around the corner from me, Cathays bought my first DVD player there!

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Superb mate hope you enjoy the E60

7. Pugger

Pugger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    A big thank you to Bobones and Horny. Setup the DVD as advised and on AV1 the picture quality was instantly improved, in fact flicking between AV1 and AV2 is a revelation. Never thought I'd ever say I could tell the difference between a normal signal and RGB but I must admit its freighting. Also found the setting for RGB on my NTL box, cheers Horny. Now I must learn all the functions on the DVD E60.

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    My pleasure mate have a search loads of help and tips on how to... around