Question Newbie with a turntable problem:-(

Dellboy56

Novice Member
Reaction score
Evening all, A friend suggested this forum as the font of all knowledge for those technically inept such as myself! I have a seperates system made by Kenwood, maybe not top of the line by a wide margin but I like the sound quality in a small granite cottage:).
Recently the Kenwood P38 tuntable has developed a fault in as far as the turntable doesn't start until the arm is halfway across a record and when the arm returns it keeps on spinning until after much fiddling and arm swings stop it. All I get from local shops is 'too old mate, bin it and get a new system'!! I think not, if I can help it...
Could anybody please tell me if it's possible for the arm to go out of sync and if so is it something that's relativly simple to fix? All idea's would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance...Derek

There's probably a microswitch that powers the TT motor on & off that's either failed or become loose on it's mountings. If you have the aptitude to strip it down you should be able to work it out. But you may find that that it's a proprietary part that's no longer available.

If you're not comfortable doing that safely then I'd suggest visiting/calling music shops & asking if they can put you in touch with a local electronics repairer. By music shop I mean one selling instruments. But it might be cheaper to look to Ebay/Gumtree for a replacement.

Of course if the TT is full size then you always just replace that with a new one.

The arm triggers the turntable by a mechanical switch as its moved across to the record
This switch has gone faulty.

Unfortunately , the mechanism is most likely unique to that model, these mechanisms tend to be unique to every model, and because the unit is 24 years old your chances of getting parts are zero.

You will need to take the cover off and search for the contact trigger or switch.
Hopefully its just dirty and a clean with a cotton bud or swab will fix it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom