Newbie with a quick Qn...

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Capt Chaos, Jan 2, 2005.

1. Capt Chaos

Capt Chaos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,
    As a stage-side observerfor several months now, I thought I'd step out of the shadows in a hope that the collective knowledge will shed light on this un-initiated techie (of the PC world).

To cut to the chase -
    I have a Panny TX-28PS12, wired into it are:
    Panny HT-900 (SCART Socket #1) - aka AV1
    JVC VCR (SCART Socket #2 - for Q-Link) -aka AV2
    XBOX (Socket #3, front-panel S-video in... audio via TOS cable to HT-900) - aka AV3S
    Terrestrial TV RF-Coax into VCR then out to TV

All's well with the world - except, when we're watching DVDs we can see th ghost images of the TV (particularly the texts / On-Screen graphics). these scroll, slowly from right to left. Its more obvious when there's a lot of blue on screen (typically on DVD load/scan or on seascape etc...)

If I remove coax input (either @VCR or @TV) ... obviously this 'ghosting' disappears.... But I can't understand why it appeared.

Previously I have a Wharfedale DVD player 705, now donated to parents.
    So I replaced with the HT-900 ... but I get this for free!? :cool:

Any ideas why .... better still how to cure/eliminate this imaging ? :smashin:
    TIA

2. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Difficult to diagnose from a distance but this could be one of 'my' favourite 'faults'. Its called 'crosstalk' in the scart lead. When you tune the tv to a 'normal' tv station the picture not only goes to your crt but it also goes to the scart socket (av1 for example) and hence down the scart lead to the device at the other end. Even if you are watching an external source the tv signal (video) is STILL being sent down the scart lead. Let's say you now decide to watch a DVD - the video leaves your dvd and travels 'up' the scart lead. However, with poor quality scart leads the two signals interfere wtih one another (that why it called 'crosstalk' - a small amount of one signal is crossing over to the other). The result is you see the output of the DVD with a small amount of the tv signal in the background. Most often this is caused by 2 things - 'crosstalk' in the tv set itself or the scart socket (unlikley with a well designed tv) or poor quality scart interconnection leads - most likely. I urge you to try a good quality scart lead between your DVD and TV set on av1. Regards, yt.

3. Capt Chaos

Capt Chaos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you Red,
    From reading most of the other posts, alot, like Networks, boils down to cables.
    I just thought I'd check afore I go buying stuff I really don't need :).

As they say "Check the cable, check the cable again ....... then ......check the cable"