Newbie with a hifi problem!!

M

m_o_w_g_l_i

Evening,

just found this forum and had a quick read through and realised that things have moved on a fair bit since we got in to the home cinema thing about 9 years ago.

Our gear is:

Kenwood KRX-1000 Amp
5 Definitive Technology speakers ( floorstanders, rears and centre)
B&W 12" Active sub.

We mostly watch Sky and DVD's through the system.

Problem is, the Kenwood is playing up on pro logic and THX, we are getting big time noise through the right hand channel only, normal sound through all other speakers. It works fine when in stereo mode.

Problem is, what's the best course of action? Its a good few years old but had the ability to really drive the def techs and annoy the neighbours when it worked correctly so seems a shame to bin it. On the other hand, is it worth getting something more upto date and flogging the old amp on to someone who can repair it?

If its a replacement, some suggestions would be great. Something that can drive the Def Techs is required.

Thanks in advance.

Do you need a support for the latest standards (prologic, Neo etc.) or is this receiver enough?

Whats the budget for the upgarde?

I have never heard of def techs and i guess very few other people in the forum have, this will be a reason you have had no responce, we can't give advice about driving speakers we don't know anything about.

Advice as always, demo if you can (home demo prefered) or go second hand will save you somemoney if your buying blind (or should that be deaf) anyway.

Further to this budget, what do you want out of the system and maybe the specs of the speakers.

I actually did hear about this company. It's actually pretty big outside the UK. This company's speakers are known to be power hungry.
You can test speakers\amp even if you buy it 2nd hand.

Definitive Technology, are they the ones that called their speakers things like Kestrel and other birds of prey? im going back with my memory here to What HiFi mags from 1996....lol.....and i was a member of the whacky backy fan club back then so i could be remembering wrongly...heh

first thing, make sure the amp is the problem by hooking the other front speaker up to that channel instead, if the problem is still there then definitely the amp....

if so, best bet would be to get on to a dealer who has used these speakers in the past and is aware of their requirements......if they do take some driving then it looks like you are not going to get away with a cheap replacement surround amp.....at the very minimum would be something like Denon 3805/Pioneer something5 (sorry, lol, mind blank, cant remember the damn model number).....but to be honest they made some very nice speakers and you may find its worth splurging on a nice processor and power amp combo from Arcam or Musical Fidelity or the like.....try a sevenoaks shop, i'm sure they used to sell Definitive Tech speakers way back when.......altho i may be wrong, but it cant help to ask them.....

Some thoughts;

If in sterio mode both front speakers are working fine it's not the speaker or speaker cable.

What dvd player do you have? How is it hooked up to the Kenwood KRX-1000 Amp? Could this be a cable problem, did you change them as a test?

Replace the Kenwood. It may be good but 9 years is a lifetime in home cinema and I suspect you may be surprised at how much things have moved on sonically. I would suggest a pre-pro combination for your speakers, something that will have no problems with hard to drive speakers. Rotel and Arcam are obvious candidates in the UK. If an integrated amp is your only option then stick with something THX rated in keeping with the Kenwood.

leaving the old pro logic behind and move into the realm of digital surround is indeed a good suggestion.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom