Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Newbie with £2000 to spend - Hitachi 32PD5300???

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by AndyGriggs, Nov 3, 2004.

1. AndyGriggs

AndyGriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

I've been researching plamsas for a while now, but speaking for all newbies, "theres way to much information to decode" and I'd like some expert advice please. :lesson: Here's what I need.

I'm looking to spend 2k tops on a plasma that needs to have a tuner. I'll be plugging in a DVD player, PS2, XBox and VCR (Only until I get Sky+ however), hence I'm after a set with a lot of inputs. I've been very tempted by the Hitachi 32PD5300 simply because it's gorgeous to look at, has all the connectivity and then some, and JL are doing it for two grand with a five year warranty.

I've also been looking at the Hitachi 32PD5200 and the Philips 37PF9946. As far as I can see, the two Hitachi's are identical minus one PC input and the in-built tuner box. Are there any consistencies between the buzzing that's been reported and this in-built unit?!? The 5200 is tempting 'cause it's around 500 quid cheaper online. If the 5200 is High def, does that really matter to me - I don't think I own anything High def, and are unlikely too unless there's something about to happen I don't know about? As for the Philips, it's bigger, but I don't think it's got the connectivity I need.

I realise now that buying a plasma a totally a personal thing, but if anyone has other suggestions or opinion i'd be grateful. I'm off to JL this week to actually scope these out but if anyone owns these sets, knows of another unit I've missed etc, please let me know.

Cheers guys! :D

2. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    A HD $ky service and HD DVD's are a couple of years away, but will probaby take longer before they become main stream. Im not sure if you spotted it, but the 5300 media box uses up the DVI-I connector, so the DVI connector is only really usable on the 5200. Digital inputs, such as DVI and HDMI (which is compatible with the DVI on the Hitachi) will become much more common over the next few years. However, you do need to check what resolutions the Hitachi supports and whether you feel this will cover your future needs. HD is likely to be 720p and a variation of 1080 and you are likely to require at least 50Hz and 60Hz refresh rates for these.

As for the quality of what you have shortlisted, that is up to other to discuss and your personal choice... I shortlisted the 5200/5300 for a very brief while, but discounted it as I would have been connecting it to a HQ DVD player with a Farouja scaler and deinterlacer - the Alis panel of the 5200/5300 would have negated much of the additional cost that I had spent on these aspects of my kit.

-Ian

3. zoom

zoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wanted a great looking 32" plasma that had very good picture quality, that was no fuss and would work right out of the box. I am not an AV enthusiast and don't need that extra tenth of picture quality. I think if you need exceptional picture then you might want to go with a Panny e.g. PW6 or a Pioneer. There are a number of highly knowledgable and helpful people on this board who use and recommend them. By the sounds of things you can't go wrong with a Panny.

For my needs however, despite the very good advice on the forum, I bought a Hitachi 32PD5300 and am delighted with it. The picture quality is very good even off my analogue aerial, DVDs are superb, the speakers are surprisingly good, there is very occasional, minor solarisation and banding. It handles motion well and watching football from analogue is good and clear. Got it from JL with the 5yr warranty for £1995 and free delviery. If you wanted HDTV then you need that one for the DVI port. Also with the 5200 it has more options to adjust the picture. Unless you are going to wall mount and want a media box for all the cables then the 5300 is probably not necessary and go for the 5200.
    The other reason I went for the 5300 was JL dont sell the 5200 and I wanted peace of mind with a 5 year warranty.
    Hitachi generally gets bashed a bit on this site, which may well be fair if you are an AV expert. But for joe public like me, I am delighted with it. Let your own eyes and needs be the judge for your circumstances. Best of luck, and whatever you decide on, decide to be happy with it. :)

4. juniorbeep

juniorbeep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also recently bought a 32PD5200 and I think it's pretty good to be honest. Got it from unbeatable for £1424. (They price matched another mailorder company. I live about 10 miles away so wanted to pick up to save on delivery) I thought Unbeatable were excellent.. friendly staff, good communications about my order and quick to get my screen in stock. I did have a new Toshiba LCD for a short while but really hated it the picture. It was so flat and had very little contrast no matter how I adjusted it so got it replaced. I would say the pic is very similar in quality to my sony flat CRT screen. Only get banding and solarisation now and again but unless you are on top of the screen itself you don't notice to be honest. I'm no AV expert but I do know what a good picture looks like. I use Sky+, a Philips DVD recorder and xbox. All seem good, I use fairly good cables Ixos, not sure it makes a huge difference but does help a bit I think. I hated the LCD and would never buy another at least not in the near future. I would buy another plasma and i would buy another Hitachi.... Hope that helps :)

5. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    If your quick mate, look in the ads forum as 'messiah' is selling a 32" Hit plasma for 1k.
    Its a bargain but you better be quick...

CH

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
  7. AndyGriggs

AndyGriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for all the feedback guys, I've plumped for the 5200 so I get high-def and a gorgeous looking system. All I need is an NTSC XBOX and I'll be away.

Mmmmm........Halo 2 in 12 hours!!!

Cheers

Andy

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Hitachi 5200 is not Hidef Andy...... its Alis something totally different...