1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie. Will a 64 MB 32 bit video card suffice for DVD viewing?nt

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Carmelito, Nov 8, 2004.

1. Carmelito

Carmelito

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi, :hiya:

64Mb of memory should be okay, what card are you thinking of?

If you're looking for a low-cost solution then the best choice would be a Radeon 9600 non-Pro (fanless) for about £50, this is because on the on-bard hardware decoding and also its' better video Overlay handling.

That said, depending on what DVD playback software you use and what you're watching on, those benefits may not be so great.

3. Carmelito

Carmelito

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am thinking of INNO GF MX4000 64MB 32 bit. Cost around $35 U.S. By the way ,I live here in the Philippines. I will also be using it with Infocus X1 and An ASUS DVD Software & player. If my goal is the best picture quality in viewing DVD.,Should I use a more expensive Video Card. TIA

Lito

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    If quality is important then yes, you should go for something better than the MX. The 9600 is one option, for a lot more you could look at the new NVidia 6600 (not yet out in AGP but soon), this seems to becoming the 'must have' for HTPC use.

For DVD software the new NVidia decoders are considered the best it seems, either used with Windows Media Player or perhaps Zoom Player .. the new TheaterTek, version 2, also comes with these but at present it's still a bit unstable but when it gets sorted out the general view is that it'll be unbeatable.

The other popular player is WinDVD.