1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

newbie, what plasma to get

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by jimmyfixit, Oct 12, 2004.

1. jimmyfixit

jimmyfixit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    as in the tilte what plasma should i go for. I want to spend 2K max and get 37" poss 42"

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Panny TH-37PE30 for a TV or Panny TH-42PWD6 for a panel..............
    No question!

3. sl8ed

sl8ed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd have to agree with Mr Dragon.
    I've just gone mad and replaced my 28" widescreen toshiba tv with a 42" PWD6.

All for £1950 including pedestal stand and 3 years onsite warranty, from Richer Sounds.
    If I had any patience whatsover I would probably have got it from AV-Sales, going by the feedback on this site, especially aftersales. And you have the 7 day distance selling return backup if it should have a few dead pixels you're not too happy about!

Bear in mind it will probably cost you at least another £150 for good connectors/boards to the PWD6, depending on what you need. The 37PE30 includes the inputs already.

4. cmorrison

cmorrison

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just fired up my new pwd6 and it is amazing.

people at av sales are without doubt one of the best sales teams ive ever bought from.
    phone calls to make sure your stuff cae when it said it did, are happy with it.

a real breath of fresh air.

get yourself a pwd6 before they dissappear. :thumbsup:

5. jimmyfixit

jimmyfixit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your help on this one. Was thinking of a PW 6 panny anyway. What board/s will i need if im going to hook it up to a Yammy DSP AX 750SE amp, bearing in mind i will be using xbox, ps2, sky, tv and dvd. Am i right i can I just run one cable from the amp to plamsma (not sure what this function is called on the amp), with all the xbox etc plugged into the amp??? Its a whole new world for me, but loving it :) What connections does the 37PE 30 have?
    Can i use a Panasonic TUPTA600B Plasma TV Tuner and Terminal Board with the PW6 or is this just for the PW7?

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    PE30 has 3 scart componet and a couple of others (built in analogue and digital tuner) i reconmend the JS RGB>VGA box for sky and either component for Xbox/PS2 or Svideo to run one cable to screen will be hard unless you go for S-video only (not great)
    Other option would be (assuming Yam amp has 2+ component inputs) JS RGB>component box for sky, component for DVD, and S-video for consoles run component and S-video to screen.
    Ideally you could run DVD, SKY via converter, PS2 and Xbox all on S-video.

EDIT: just noticed Yamaha does upconversion to component so run all soures to AMP and componet cable to plasma (you can even go component into the VGA socket on plasma meaning you just need a 3 RCA > D-sub cable that AV-sales should be able to supply.....
    If plastering cables into wall a good idea to run some more for future upgrades.... Namely DVI/HDMI and or VGA + S-video juts in case....

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Forget the PTAE600 tuner mate waste of space.... AMP will do all you need, Do you have Sky or Sky+?
    Upgrade to Sky+ is very worthwhile............ for DD 5.1 on movies, hard drive recorder and crucially S-video output......... for AMP....

8. markmoore767

markmoore767

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you all! After trying to find out about plasmas for some time, I found your site and it steered me towards the Panasonic. (And to think I was considering the Techwood!) Phew.

I purchased a TH42PW6 for £1700 and need some advice for some input cards. I have a scart card in slot one. My only problem is that my xbox only displays in monochrome, irrespective of being set to PAL or NTSC. Will a composite video card sort this out? If not, what are my options.

Once again, a big thank you for all in this community for providing me with impartial advice. I am VERY happy with my panny!!!!

"Give a man a fish, and feed him for a day."
    "Teach a man to fish, and you can sell him equipment!"

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    OK what cable are you using for Xbox what cards do you have? What are you connecting?
    PS where did you get plasma from?

10. markmoore767

markmoore767

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi,

I have 1 scart card. I have ordered 1 composite card. The xbox using composite}scart displays in mono. I am thinking that the scart card having a composite input is the problem?

I got the plasma from a company, whos name I forget!. I will tell you when I receive my invoice.

Thanks

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  12. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    the xbox should work perfectly with the SCART card (mine does)
    maybe the cable you are using is faulty.
    The SCART terminal board accepts all the signals composite/s-video/RGB

13. scoobydoo77

scoobydoo77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a MONSTER x-box s-video cable. Its basically an s-video and 2 phono cables connecting my x-box to my viera. Games look great, whether its worth £40 is another matter. I bought mine from Comet (stupidly) but i'm sure you can get it cheaper online somewhere.

14. papachumba

papachumba
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i got a cheapo component cable for my xbox and when i connected that to my PW6 and started the xbox in NTSC i was amazed! definitely the best setup in terms of pic q for xbox -> plasma (that has progressive).

as for your mono picture it certainly sounds odd, i would first check if it displayed the same way on a normal telly with same cables in place. If so something might be wrong with the cables or your xbox, if you get a colour picture something is wrong with your scart board or plasma. (theoretically)

15. cmorrison

cmorrison

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i connected up my xbox using the standard composite to scart connector which came with the xbox. was running it through a pioneer vsx c 402 amp and all i got was sound and a blank picture.

someone on the board advised me to get a new scart cable...........so ive ordered one from play.com.

How many inputs will a component card take.??

thinking of upgrading my dvd to pio dv575 and also xbox thru component.

16. jimmyfixit

jimmyfixit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :offtopic: Big up all those who post on such a great site, your all so helpful, keep the good work up peps :thumbsup:

17. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Thanks Jimmy in response to a previous question component card is one input only......
    Chris calm down mate upgraditis should not kick in for 1 month at least...........

18. papachumba

papachumba
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lol upgraditis - i seem to suffer chronically from that :smoke:

19. markmoore767

markmoore767

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey hey kids!!!

As suggested, I purchased the AV control centre and scart lead from Play.com.

Everything is working AOK now. Thanks to all who helped me out with this.

I will return the favour if ever i am able.

20. cmorrison

cmorrison

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry HD, gettin a little carried away.

think i need to cut up my credit cards :suicide: