1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie - What exactly is a HCPC?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by trivisingh, May 8, 2003.

1. trivisingh

trivisingh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am a newbie to home theatre systems and I will putting one together soon. I want to know what is a HCPC or HTPC. Is it a computer with some special equipment or can any PC be used for playing DVDs. Can I use my PC with an ASUS DVD ROM and Geforce card for playing DVDs on the Sony HS10 projector. Also which cable do I use to connect the PC to the projecter (I guess the same RGB cable which goes to the monitor can be used) Also since the HS10 is a widescreen projector how do I get the DVD picture from the PC to fill the whole screen.

I would also appreciate if someone can give me a list of hardware and software to put together a HCPC

thanks

2. Underscore

Underscore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    An HTPC can be any PC - it's more about what it's used for - though it will often contain components selected to be particularly quiet. I'm sure you can start with your existing PC and see how you get - yes, a VGA cable is fine, though I think the HS10 can use DVI? To get the correct resolution to allow you to fill the HS10 panels without using the internal scaler, you need to use a tool called powerstrip, which will allow you to add custom resolutions and, if necessary, refresh rates - there should be a link in one of the stickies.

To give you an idea of what I think is a fairly standard HTPC, this is the spec of the HTPC which I just built:

Hardware:

Antec 660AMG case with Trupower330 PSU
    Athlon XP2100+
    Zalman 6000Cu Flower cooler
    512MB PC2700
    ASUS A7V8X mobo
    Creative SB 4.1 Digital for S/PDIF out
    Sapphire Radeon 9000 64MB VGA/DVI/TV
    Nebula DTT card
    Seagate Barracuda V 120GB
    Pioneer DVD-120

Software:

Win2kPro
    TheaterTek DVD
    DVDRegionFree
    Reclock 0.99j
    ffdshow (though current not using)

HTH,

_

[Edit: added case to h/w list]

3. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I posted my new HTPC configuration here, which should be capable of playing the new Terminator 2 Extreme Edition in high-definition.