• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Newbie! What cam help please

MajicMOLE

Standard Member
Hi guys - im new to the forum, and new to camcorders! And i know you get posts like this all the time so i am sorry - i have spent a couple of hours looking at past posts but i still cant get my head round which mini DV cam to get the misus from crimbo!

I have a budget of around £150 (will go upto £200 if its worth the extra) - i know its not much for a camcorder but we are both new to them!

After doing alot of searching i have kinda realised that im proberly best to go for a canon? Im just worried about these reported motor noises - does anyone know how comon (or rare) they are?

Also, i would like one that takes stills aswell - i know stills arnt as good on camcorders as they are on cameras, but its still a handy feature that she would use

Im just stuck on which model!

Iv seen the MV890 for £168, but also the 830i for £195. Also, the SAMSUNG
D362 is going for £149.99 at currys ATM - but iv not heard too much about this one.

Any help would be appreciated, as i want to get the best for my money!

Thankyou in advance

redsox_mark

Distinguished Member
MV890 doesn't take stills. MV930 does, but that is £200 plus change.
MV830i is a discontinued model, but does take stills (you can think of it as the old version of the MV930).
All the Canon models are better (in terms of quality) than the Samsung IMO.

MajicMOLE

Standard Member
Hi Redsox - thankyou for your reply!

So would you say the 830i is better than the MV890?

Also, iv seen the MV901 for £179.99. Would that be any better? Theirs just so many to choose from!

redsox_mark

Distinguished Member
would you say the 830i is better than the MV890?

In terms of quality, they are about the same. The 830i gives you some features which are not on the MV890 (but are on the higher priced MV960): DV and AV in, and a SD card for stills. As you want to be able to take stills the 830i would be better for you.

The MV901 I don't know... it looks to be a Dixon's group only version of the MV890.

MajicMOLE

Standard Member
Thanx redsox

So the 830i looks the best bet then? Whats the diference between this and the MV930? Do you know if the 830i has the "noise" problem reported?

MajicMOLE

Standard Member
Actually! Im thinking maybe the MV930 - pixmania do it for £203 - but theres a discount code sumwhere and quidco aswell which will put it below the price i was going to pay for the 830i

redsox_mark

Distinguished Member
The noise problem doesn't seem to be on all units, or is not an issue for everyone. Note every camcorder will pick up some noise from the on-board mic. I don't think there is a difference between the 830i and the MV930 in that regard. If you don't need the DV/AV in then I'd probably go for the newer MV930.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom