1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie wants to buy

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by stoobydale, Jul 17, 2004.

1. stoobydale

stoobydale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi, Could anyone please help me make my first purchase. I recently decided to buy a new tv and started looking at Rear projection but then found out that the lamps only last approx 6000 hours and are expensive to replace. If this is true I will buy a Plasma tv and now the dilema due to complete lack of knowledge. The tv will mainly be used for watching films via dvd (Teac ref 500 system) but I think I would also like to be able to watch some normal tv via the aerial. The two plasma tv's that I would like some advice on are the "Techwood TWP4210" and the "Panasonic TH42PW6B" With my limited knowledge the Panasonic looks better but I understand that I will need some additional equipment which might bump up the price considerably. Could someone please tell me what I need? Thanks.

2. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Steer well clear of the Techwood.
    There's a thread on here quite recently about how poor the picture quality is on this set.

Reviews for Panny plasmas are consistently good. Only downside in my opinion is the relatively low definition of the panel. Fine for current TV and DVD viewing, but not good for future use if HDTV ever gets up and running.

PW6B has plug-in video boards for making connections with DVD, Sky/Freeview etc. These can be specified at time of purchase, with some retailers including the first board (typically a SCART connection) in the price. Check out AV-Sales for more info on this.

Viewing an aerial feed is more tricky. Many plasmas have difficulty with a standard analogue tuner feed. It is also of course not in proper 16:9 (widescreen) format from this source. Go for a digital tv source if poss, such as Freeview/Sky/Cable.

If you must use analogue, the Panny TH-42PA20 model may be a better bet for you, as has a built in tuner, speakers etc. Have a look on Pricerunner to find one ;)

3. rooney

rooney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    and also dont forget the pany pe30 with built in digital tuner no probs as mentioned above with the techwood also remeber if you buy one from currys dixons etc your not happy more than likely they wont have it back save for a litle while longer and get either a pioneer pany hitachi as it will prob be in your house for a good few many years and at the end of the day you want a tv you can be proud of and enjoy watching without pixels here and there and solarisation banding etc having said that you may be one of the lucky people who gets a techwood thats ok there are a few people on here who have managed to get a techwood set that works ok(i think) best place to buy :-

john lewis 5yr waranty 4 free(remeber to pricematch)
    prc
    avland
    sound and vision

dont buy b4 you have seen.

mine is connected to scht870 a.i.1 xbox and sky plus very happy with it :thumbsup:

4. stoobydale

stoobydale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi Thanks for the advice but now I have a few more questions. We have NTL in another room, would it be possible to connect through one of those wireless links. I have had much sucess in the past with a wireless internet connection and wondered if the tv would be the same. I have seen a PW6 advertised for £1999 but I think this is just for the screen, how much extra do you think I would need to spend to get it up and running? Thanks.

5. technovorgin

technovorgin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    they have a special on pwd6 at av sales just look at sponsers at the top of the page :smashin:
    give them a call tommorow and they will help you all they can

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The wireless link will be fairly crap. You really need a better signal than that on a plasma, they're just so darn big, and are pretty sensitive to signal quality. Move the NTL box, use freeview, or a RGB to s-video converter and an s-video link, either straight cable if it's easy, or video over cat5 if it's not. You could even go for a RGB to VGA converter and send that over cat5 for the best results. Cheapest way though is to buy a Netgem freeview box, and a 3-phono to 15pin subD cable, and a suitable scart adapter, RGB and composite. Set the netgem to YUV, connect up the cable just as the colour code, bung it in the VGA port, which you set in the plasma menu to YUV/component and near 'as good as it gets' is yours.

7. stoobydale

stoobydale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for that MAW but not being so technically minded I think you lost me just after "use freeview" :p After looking at an earlier post ( technovorgin) I had a look at the "PWD6" package at AV-Sales this looks very good to me but again with my limited technical knowledge what do you guys think? It is more than twice my original budget but after a quick look into rear projection I think Plasma is the format to go for. Do most people wall mount their plasma screens or put them on a stand? Does anyone in the know think that the AV-Sales package deal (charcoal) is a good option? Thanks.

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Most people wall mount. It pains me to say, but the AV sales deal is good, I won't sell a screen with that kind of margin, I don't think it's good business. Not for me anyway. They should also talk you through connection, but feel free to ask more here, or PM if you want a chat.