Newbie wants info

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by spark, Jun 19, 2002.

1. spark

spark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone help me,

I'm looking for a home cinema set up with mp3 playback and multiregion capability on a budget, but I'm not really sure where to start.

I curently have a hifi separates system, with a standard non surround amp and a pair of pretty good mordaunt short speakers, along with a Hitachi Nicam stereo TV.

I've been looking at the DVD players with built in Dolby Digital decoding - do I still need a separate amp with these? Would I be able to route them through my current stuff instead of my existing CD player add a couple of satellite speakers to start me off and then add more later?

Or am I better keeping that all separate and buying a whole package? I've been looking at the Samsung DVD-M405/SP.

Can anyone recommend anything to me?

2. Nike

Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Hi,
    If you want to keep your existing set-up, A Yamaha DSP-E800 would be ideal.

It contains a DPL/DD/DTS processor and amplification for centre & 2x rear speakers (use existing 2ch amp/speakers for front L/R)
    Connect your DVD player with a digital lead & you're away!

I've had one for over a year now, I wanted surround for movies without compromising my 2 channel set-up.

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I've been looking at the DVD players with built in Dolby Digital decoding - do I still need a separate amp with these?

If you want surround sound, yes. For stereo this is however sufficient.

If you buy a new (AV) amp or the add-on processor suggested by Nike you will have DD and DTS decoder in that amp so the decoder in the player becomes redundant. Means you can also buy a player without decoder. (Those still support stereo, too.)

On a more technical note: all DVD players have a Dolby Digital decoder built in to support a downmix to stereo or DPL, so "internal decoder" should actually be called 5.1 or 6-Channel (analog) output ...