Newbie wants home theatre system

Jon12345

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just bought myself a Sky+ box and want some decent sound to go with it.

I went to Currys and saw some nice home theatre systems for around £400, complete with speakers.

However, I am wondering whether I should use some speakers that my mother has offered to lend me. They are Polk Audio and cost about £1,000 for 4 speakers and £500 for an active subwoofer.

Should I just use those and buy myself a 5.1 amp? Those speakers were out before the 5.1 systems. Will they be the right type of speakers?

Your thoughts please.

Thanks,

Jon

They'll probably be much better than anything that you can buy from Currys for £400.

Presumably four speakers is two fronts and two rears. You can get away with no centre for a while but it would sound much better if you get hold of the matching Polk centre to complete the setup.

Get yourself a decent amp and you're well away.

Sorry, forgot to add there is also a centre speaker.

Any recommendations on how much to spend on a speaker and what might be considered a best buy?

Originally posted by Jon12345
Any recommendations on how much to spend on a speaker and what might be considered a best buy?

I presume you mean amp.

Have a look at the Denon, Marantz, Sony and Yamaha range as they all tend to be good value for money with models from £200 to £2,000.

Originally posted by Jon12345

However, I am wondering whether I should use some speakers that my mother has offered to lend me. They are Polk Audio and cost about £1,000 for 4 speakers and £500 for an active subwoofer.

Your thoughts please.

Thanks,

Jon

Jesus what a cool mother! Polk audio eh? She must know a thing or two about decent sound.

Looks like Polk Audio member NO2 is just about to join, not alone after all. May be we can have a coffee morning. Hopefully you will choose the EX/ES route, then we can go halves on a pair of Polks for the surround backs. ;)

Don't think you will go far wrong with the Polks, I run mine from a Denon, very pleased with the amp, I don't think you will be disappointed with any of the manufacturers Ian has mentioned. Have owned Yamaha's in the past, very good amps, can sound a little bright, same goes for the Sony, these sound too bright for me, so this time decided to have a change and went for the Denon, it is perfect for movies and music.

Good Luck

Have to say that Denon or Marantz amps will proberbly be your best bets IMO.

Decided I might go for a Yamaha DSP-AX630SE.

It has 6.1. Does this mean I need to get an extra speaker or will it run in a 5.1 mode? (Currently I have 5 speakers).

Also, they do a RDS version. What does this mean?

Any comments on my choice of amp?

Thanks,

Jon

If you want to take advantage of the 6.1 then you will have to buy another speaker, but it will run perfectly in 5.1 mode.

Yamaha do two versions of this amp, one with a tuner and one without, RDS is Radio Data System and is a function of the tuner, displays the station name etc.

If the older models are anything go by then it's a good choice. ;)

I want to get one in silver. But Yamaha only seem to do it in black.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom