1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie wanting HD advice (for Sony)

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by PGYEOMANS73, Jan 3, 2005.

1. PGYEOMANS73

PGYEOMANS73
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Been reading this forum for a while now in an attempt to find out a little bit more about Plasmas and High Definition etc...However have now decided to post a thread as I am just about to buy a Sony KEP42M1S.

I know that Sony is not well regarded (or doesn't seem to be) on these boards but I personally love the styling of this flat screen (then again I do own a new Mini :smashin: ).....Also I am wanting a TV that I don't need to worry about setting up seperate speakers with and adding numerous terminal boards to it to allow me to use my various equipment; I do have a surround system but only like to use this for watching movies as the kids (and wife) find the sound 'too much' for everyday use. As for why I don't want to 'mess' around with the terminal boards....I guess it is because I just dont trust myself and also, despite reading these boards, I am still extremely confused.

All this, coupled with the free Sony DVD recorder and free 5 year guarantee offer I have seen, has made me 'plump' for the KEP42M1S. The advice I am really wanting, now, is in regards to High Definition compatibility. I know that Sony state this set IS 'HD ready' but I have also been made aware (by the very helpful forum user 'Dutch') that this TV will NOT be compatible (directly) with Sky's HD offering and/or HD-DVD.

I really need/want to know if I will still be able to use this television to view Sky HD and HD-DVD by using some kind of 'converter' or 'scaling' unit (excuse me if I am way out here but I know very little on this subject) or if I will genuinely need to replace the TV to view HD. Obviously if the latter was true then I may be more inclined to re-consider my purchase and possibly hold on to my Panasonic 36" CRT for another year or so....

Hopefully this has all made sense and I would be EXTREMELY grateful if anyone took the time to respond.

Kind Regards - Paul (YEMONDO)

2. dempsey

dempsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not too familiar with this screen but as far as I can make out it doesnt have a HDMI or DVI input for high definition sources. If Sky's recent statement regarding the use of HDCP for SkyHD turns out to be the case then it won't be compatible for SkyHD.

3. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I'm not an expert but I believe from reading some threads on here the position is that as it stands you will not be able to receive sky HD with this set. As to whether or not converters will be available there has been much debate on the subject. There will undoubtedly be demand for such converters and I understand there is no technical reason why they would not appear. Indeed, I believe some scalers have the capability to output signals via component but they are currently disabled to avoid possible litigation as there are doubts as to the legality of such devices, being classed as being apparatus to circumvent copy protection which would be illegal to sell.

There are some available at the moment and I believe MAW (who is very knowledgeable) has ordered one to try. Again, there is some debate as to whether they will continue to work as the "codes" in HDCP may change and render the units useless.

There was a recent press release from Sony to the effect that the Sky announcement caught them on the hop and the next ranges will be compatible. Personally, I would wait a few months as the new ones will have compatible connections.

Again, I think this has summed up the position but others will follow this thread and correct any mistakes I may have made (for which I apologise in advance).

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Hmmm.... will Sony be making any plasmas in the future ?

Sony say "yes", but the financial analysts say that they won't profit by doing so, see this link

5. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Let's put it simply:

Buying an expensive plasma screen today with zero digital connection on it is just setting yourself up for a very nasty surprise in the near future...

Actually, it won't be a surprise any more, you've been warned now... ;)

P.S. And yes there's a chance Sony is about to abandon developments around plasma displays (they're concentrating on other technos like LCD and FED)...

6. PGYEOMANS73

PGYEOMANS73
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Thanks everyone for your advice - If anyone else has anything to add I would be grateful.

I am really surprised to hear the set described as having 'zero digital connection' as I am continually hearing (from various online e-tailers) that the screen is HD ready.....

Maybe it's time to have a re-think then...... :confused:

Thanks again - Paul (YEMONDO)

7. Arepee

Arepee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So what screen can you get that is sufficiently future-proofed?

8. Bonzodogdick

Bonzodogdick
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I sympathise with you Paul. Im in the same boat and unfortunately I cant offer any advice. My sure purchases have been dashed on more than one occasion by reading threads on this excellent forum. I think Ill just sit tight for a couple of months and see what transpires. Im certainly not gonna panic buy (despite the kids driving me barmy for a plasma! :D)

One things for sure. By waiting, the prices certainly wont go up, and connectivity will improve accross the board, giving us all more choice with the benefit of the knowledge of what HD is doing. :smashin:

Good luck

Bonzo

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Pioneer 435FDE/XDE sound ideal for you mate future proof TV kids can use and very sexy look £££ tho and need to read up and demo it if you like the SONY picture (not just the design) you may not like the pionner the other one too look at but needs more research as to HD compatibility is the FUJITSU HHS30 my pick but not as simple

10. Arepee

Arepee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

As you say, a bit pricey. Looks very nice though.

11. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Or the NEC XR3 (there seems to be some hope that it'll work at 720@50Hz) - which has had some pretty good write-ups. I've seen a lot of commercial NEC panels around, and have always been impressed.

12. PGYEOMANS73

PGYEOMANS73
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again for the advice (everybody) - Going to look at the Pioneer now and see what I think...

Paul

13. PGYEOMANS73

PGYEOMANS73
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Last (probably stupid) question of the evening - Would something like the "Zinwell BLS-3000 Brite-View Pro Home Theater Video Line Doubler with Video Switcher and TV Tuner" allow for the Sony to receive HD inputs or am I talking garbage (like I think I am..)....??

Thanks for bearing with me on this guys..

Paul

14. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    an iscan HD+ would possibly (but lack of digital inputs may prohib this but the HDMI>RGBHV box being discussed might well

15. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    No big name commercial scaler will do HDCP digital -> analog (or even unprotected digital) as a standard feature - it's expressly prohibited by the HDCP license agreement.

Could someone hack the firmware? Could other devices be used to do an analog conversion? Quite possibly - but there are technical and legal remedies to limit the viability of such options, if anyone chooses to take notice of such operations.

16. PGYEOMANS73

PGYEOMANS73
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay - Just seen the Pioneer 435FDE at Currys and I must say I was BLOWN away....

Any ideas where to get this at a realistic price (i.e. not the £3,300 that Currys was asking).....??

Cheers in advance chaps...

Paul (YEMONDO)

17. Andyuk911

Andyuk911

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    If you look around you will find the guys(dealers) on here that post, you can buy an 435XDE, which has a digital tuner(see the Pioneer website) for that money. The only downside to this display is that due to the media box, a scaler will not work well. So you ,may aslk what does a scaler do. In the case of Sky, it can improve the Picture and the same for DVD. However if you buy a HDMI DVD player, say a Denon 3910 then the PQ will be great. The final little trick, but costs, is to have the sky box change to have SDI (you can also mod a DVD player). SDI is Serial Digital Interface, but the 435XDE does not have the input for this. So a scaler with the necessary input will be required. Just to be clear, a scaler will plug into a 435, but you will not get ALL the benefits.

I am now looking at a new NEC 42 XR3(not the car!). This can be hooked to a scaler with built in TV tuner(analogue) and SKY box via RGB. The scaler box can also take HDMI from the DVD player. The only possible gotcha is if the DVI input can take 50hz. There is a chap on here that is going to test it.

Then the most important thing. You MUST view the setup yourself, as we are human and don't always like the same things. ie I am sure my wife does not look like your wife :)

Hope that helps

Andy
    PS Thanks to all the people on here, otherwise I would have been clueless.

18. PGYEOMANS73

PGYEOMANS73
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many Thanks for this Andy....

I saw the Pioneer tonight and loved it - But am now unsure (which is no bad thing) based on your 'Scaler' comments; will do some more digging I think...

Got to buy one soon though - The anticipation is killing me... :rolleyes:

Paul