• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Newbie wanting advice

kellystewart

Established Member
Hey guys,

I have always wanted a projector and have decided this is indeed going to be my next purchase. I don't particularly have a set budget as I'd like to know what features/spec I can expect at different price brackets (sub £1500 though).

I am planning on hooking my SKY HD box, PS3 Slim, DVD Player and Media PC to it and have a 5.1 surround system already installed. (I have a HDMI switched as I know I won't find one with several HDMI's lol)

My main requirements are that it is Full HD 1080p and that it is as bright as possible....the room can be kept relatively dark during the day but obviously brighter is better.

With regards to ANSI Lums and contrast...what is it i'm looking for? Is an ANSI lums rating of 2200 good but is this going to be useless if the contrast is only 600:1? I just want to understand how these figures affect the picture quality.

Umm what else oh yeah throw distance...I have maximum throw distance of 11' and can have square against the screen. So yeah what size screen could I realistically get from these dimensions?

Hope this all makes sense

Thanks guys,

Kelly :)

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Have a gander at the Themscene (Optoma) HD20 circa £900.It has 1600 lumens and 500:1 CR.

From 11ft you should get a diagonal of around 90".If dlp projectors are not a problem to you regarding rainbows this pj is a steal for the money.

There are other options,Mitsubishi HC5500 around £1200 this is lcd or next model up 6500 approx £1500.

There is a few other models out shortly from BenQ and Vivitek,both around £1k.

You need to demo a few to see what you think.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom