1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

newbie wall mount help

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by speedtapeking, Aug 12, 2005.

1. speedtapeking

speedtapeking
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Before you all say ive tried reading the posts and im still baffled !!

We have a ne wpany pv500 42" with the free dmres10 along with our sky box.

Firstly what is the best way to connect it all up and in what order ? the more i read the posts the less i can work it out !

Secondly its about to get bolted to the wall - how high off the ground have you guys put yours ?? our viewing distance is about 8 ft im guessing about 44" from the floor to bottom of the screen how does that sound ?? about right ?

We have plaster board with about 1" gap from the breeze block hopefully just enough to sweeze the wires through. along with 8 off M6x65mm heavy duty anchor bolts shoud hold it on ok into the breeze block i hope ?! !

thanks in advance for any ideas help etc

2. Korum

Korum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +652
    IMO that's way too high.If I were to wall mount my PV500 I'd make the centre of the screen directly at eye level in your normal seating position.In my case that would mean the bottom of the screen is 22'' from the deck.That might seem low but I think people mount them too high up as If it's a mirror or picture frame they are looking at.

3. Nigeld

Nigeld
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree ........... eye level, whenyou are sat down would be my choice.

4. speedtapeking

speedtapeking
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok thanks guys maybe lower is best ! any clues as to choice of what connections to use? scart etc ? or rgb ? which order from sky to dvd to screen ?

5. UKseless1

UKseless1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    speedtapeking - am in same predicament. About to out tomorrow and buy all the gumph I need to mount my PWD8 on the wall. I've struggled like mad to find any decent instructions from previous postings.

If you have something that is usable, could you send me the link please? ( I see that you are making reference to wall anchor bolts (didn't find that post).

Also, wouldn't it be a good idea to get a decent set of instructions for wall mounting (to the various flavours of walls) posted along with the frequently asked questions? or does that break forum rules?

6. splnter

splnter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Hi, Im just putting mine on the wall.

Made a false one.. just got to get the plaster board in the morning.

Mine is 28" from floor and looks good. And we sit about 10 feet away. :)

Will post up more pics when done.

Picy.
    http://img76.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf10383oi.jpg

7. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,196
    I would have thought connections for viewing are fairly straight forward in your case.

DMRES10 >> Component
    Sky >> SCART (RGB)

Recording inputs for the DVDR can be a little more complex.

What do you want to record on you DMRES10? I'll assume just Sky for now. Sky has two SCARTs (one marked TV and the other marked Video). You have already connected the TV so most people then use the Video SCART - but beware. This is fine for VCRs, that not for DVDRs as that SCART does not carry RGB out so quality will not be best.

This means that you want your Sky TV SCART to feed both the TV and the DVDR. You will see cheap splitters in Argos and the like. I wouldn't recommend these as they are passive devices and in my experience using them results in loss of signal strength, quality and in some cases ghosting. Instead I would recommend a powered buffer like this one

http://www.js-technology.com/produc...id=51&osCsid=840eaf1797bf73721fcdf166a26c40c8

Okay its another £45 to spend but you've spent a lot on your TV so makes sense to get the best picture.

Note - you could probably avoid the buffer by daisy-chaining through the DMRES10 but personally I prefer more direct feeds as I have described.

Cheers,

Nigel

8. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You probably already know this mate, but you need a few more timbers in there yet before you plasterboard.

Best to have no spaces greater than 400mm to support the board fully.

Great job and it hides all the cables.

9. splnter

splnter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Hi, yer i know just went out to get some more wood.. as i ran out yesderday. :(

You only know you need more when its to late.. Lesson leaned. get more then you need . lmao. :lesson:

Dont know what mm to get plaster b for it ??? any one ???

10. Korum

Korum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +652
    speedtapeking,

Why don't you get a piece of thick MDF or plywood larger than your wall bracket.Screw and silicone seal the MDF onto the plaster board and bolt the bracket onto this.This will be much stronger than bolting into plasterboard and breeze block (Those anchor bolts are a nightmare IMO.)

11. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dont fix it to the plasterboard,cut the plasterboard out and fit mdf or better stil plywood directly to the brick / block the same size as the bracket, this way it doesn't (stand off) the wall too much and will be a lot stronger than going through the plasterboard.

12. Korum

Korum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +652
    That's a brilliant idea av2diefor,I never thought of doing this.I think if I ever wall mount my PV500 I'll do it exactly that way.

13. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another thing to bear in mind when buying anchor bolts,speedtapeking had mentioned 65mm long bolts, these are not long enough.
    These bolts need at least 75mm into the brick/block to be effective, if you are going through plaster board add another 25mm, so keep the bolts at least 100mm long. Also 10mm diameter is safer.

These can be a pig to fix, i must have fitted 1000's in various jobs and every now and again you get a rouge one ;)

14. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Get 12.5mm, its coppers more but far superior.

15. dodgyd

dodgyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Very posh ;)
    Dave.

16. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ha , ha I meant to say rogue.

But really meant t--t

17. speedtapeking

speedtapeking
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As for length of bolts - i got that from someones elses project under the PV500 sticky - do i open the said packet or go back to b an q? any other offers on how high your plasma is? distance from floor to bottom or screen - im still playing with a piece of cardboard to see how it looks before i attack the plaster board !

18. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If someone else used 65mm bolts they may have had plastered walls ie 10mm thick,even so still a bit small, if you have (dot&dab walls) the bolt will only be in the brick 35mm which is definately NOT enough.
    The brick/block will burst at the front face, so at least 75mm into the brick(trust me)

19. speedtapeking

speedtapeking
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  20. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With the plasterboard off you should be ok as its past half way through the brick. (100mm thick bwk) :thumbsup:

21. speedtapeking

speedtapeking
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks av2 im currently lookin at 32" from floor to bottom of screen with my experimental cardboard cut to same size as pany ! (it is over fire but only ever been on 3 times since been in house so more decorative - id bin it off but the boss wants the fire to stay)

plaster board removal to start shortly !!

carnt wait till i decide what surround sound to fit should be a riot running cables all over ! set up is pany 42", dmres10 and an amstrad drx300 sky box. any suggestions on wirin that lot up welcome ! dont know if i should just buy one of the pany systems for surround sound or amp an selection of speakers - i see you can buy speakers to go on end of the screen for the surrround any offers on what to use for the sound system ?

22. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Put cables in to cover every input on the tv, also run a couple of speaker wires in with rca connectors on for the audio out, this way you are covered for every eventuality and can play around with the connections at the equipment end and not vice versa :)

Good luck mate

23. speedtapeking

speedtapeking
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well its on the wall - fantastic ! just got that worry will it stay there ....

just got the leads to purchase and bury now - job for next week !!