1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie, VSM2048, PSM, Faroudja

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by TT9, Jan 13, 2004.

1. TT9

TT9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Greetings,

Two motives to this question - I am trying to educate myself this year with the technical issues and motives in visual and audio aspects, and I want to get the best picture possible.

So. . . .

I am trying to achieve the very best picture quality I can from my system. I have a DVD32R which is outputting an interlaced signal to my Domino30. This is de-interlaced/scaled by the Faroudja DCDi chipset. This is correct ? Connection is component.

Now, would I see a difference in quality if I included in the loop the Tag PSM and VSM modules ? The PSM would take care of de-interlacing, and the VSM scale to a 1280x720 resolution. I suppose the question is, as the Tag components will be replicating the job of the Faroudja chipset, are these better in that they will provide a better picture quality. The whole idea of letting the projecter scale/deinterlace or moving it to the source is one which is confusing me.

Can somebody provide some insight to a lost little chap !?

Thanks and regards,
    Steve.

2. Miron

Miron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Steve,
    how about checking it yourself.
    If you are ready to spend so much money then there should be dealer ready to offer you decent comparison.

There is no way around this

Regards

3. TT9

TT9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI Miron,

And thanks for the reply.
    If only it was so simple getting hold of these components to be able to experiment for a while. The PSM requires insertion into the DVD of course and the scaler would mean me getting my hands on the AV192.

Failing anyone being able to give a first hand opinion of the PSM and VSM I was hoping for some feedback on the differences between de-interlacing at source and the within the projector.

Thanks and Regards,
    Steve.

4. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Steve

I'm not able to give you a complete answer but may give you food for thought.

I have a DVD32 FLR fitted with the PSM192. I also have a Faroudja NRS scaler. Comparing the NRS to the PSM192 (an apples to oranges comparison because of the different resolution) the NRS gives the better picture with more vibrant colours.

I spoke to Alan Roser (UK Sim2 distributor) yesterday about using the NRS into a Sim2 projector in preference to the internal Faroudja scaler, he said that I would get a better picture from the NRS due to it having a better colour decoder.

5. cj

cj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Hi Steve,

I know my local dealer is waiting on his his VSM module to return from Tag, and they'll be running it connected up to a Runco CL-710 which is the same resolution as your Sim2.

Cheers,

Colin

6. TT9

TT9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers col,

Give me a shout when he gets his mits on in. I'd be interested in a before and after comparison if you are abl to do one. . . or failing that I might drag myself around the M25 and come and see for myself !

I tell you what, for a fully loaded AV192, PSM, VSM the lot. . . . how much . . . ?:eek:

I think even with my thrifty :devil: attitudes I may have to bale on that one !!

Steve.

7. cj

cj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Yeah I've been thinking about it myself, but you're probably talking around £15,000 new or £11,000 second hand which I think even I'd struggle to get past the missus without selling another one of my motorbikes, or maybe one of the kids...

As much as I love Tag gear (and would love a fully loaded AV192 + VSM2048), I think common sense will prevail this time and I'll buy an external scaler and save myself £10k.

From what I've gathered any sort of reasonable external scaling is going to be better than the projector scaler (why? I'm not sure either...). I've been playing with a PC hooked up into my CL-710 (via DVI) against my DVD32 + PSM192 via component and picture wise you'd definitely be happy with the HTPC (of course the PC is outputting at 1280x720, which the PSM192 doesn't).

I'll let you know when I've seen the VSM in action.

Colin

8. parky43007

parky43007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    There was, the other day, a fully loaded AV192 ex demo on the Sevenoaks website (in Bristol I think) for around 6 grand. Obviously this would need the VSM adding but would come out at less than 10 grand.