• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

Newbie Viera Link question

fatboy11

Standard Member
Hi

I have been reading these forums for a while but this is my first posting. Excellent forums BTW thanks.

I have just bought a Panasonic TX-L26X10B TV for the bedroom. I want to be able to use the viera link/qlink option to record programs.

What is the cheapest/reasonable quality way to be able to do this ?

I take it that all I do is set the program/programmes to record on the TV EPG and it sets everything else up to record ?

Thanks for your help.

Gavtech

Administrator
Hi

I have been reading these forums for a while but this is my first posting. Excellent forums BTW thanks.

I have just bought a Panasonic TX-L26X10B TV for the bedroom. I want to be able to use the viera link/qlink option to record programs.

What is the cheapest/reasonable quality way to be able to do this ?

I take it that all I do is set the program/programmes to record on the TV EPG and it sets everything else up to record ?

Thanks for your help.

Welcome to the forum.

You've not mentioned having a Panasonic recorder. I assume you already have one?

If so, what happens can be circumstantial on the model you have and the connection methods.

Broadly, if you have a modern unit and it is connected by both HDMI and scart with Viera link enabled then it is possible to programme using the TV's EPG and at the point of the recording the recorder will change to the required channel and record using it's own tuner.

This is desirable because the recording quality will be high and your TV is left free to watch any other channel or can be switched off.

If your system does not have this sophistication then it will record using the TV's tuner which has many drawbacks.
The TV tuner is being used so you cannot watch another channel.
Unless the TV is very sophisticated the TV must be on.
The signal comes via the scart lead at a maximal composite quality [ poorest of all signal types ]

If you are uncertain what facilities your system has, then experiment.

Set the recorder to a particular channel ... then set up a recording for a different channel using the TV's EPG and see if it will change the channel on the DVDR when the time comes for the recording... and that you are free to change channel on the TV.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom