Newbie: U.S. cable connect to AVR300

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by vcarter, Jul 17, 2004.

Tags:
  1. vcarter

vcarter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please help a newbie with a stupid question: Where do I connect the cables to the AVR 300 from a U.S. digital cable box (Time Warner)? The manual doesn't clearly illustrate this, and the Internet-based diagrams from Monster show a receiver with connections to a "digital audio in" and a "TV/Mon input", which I cannot readily identify in the AVR300 manual. I've got the connections for my DVD and plasma TV figured out--it's just the cable box that's got me stymied.

I know it's stupid, but I really appreciate the help from you who have long ago gone through this. Thanks.

2. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The AVR300 doesn't specifically have a "Cable" input labeled, but you can use a different input.

If you're using component video cables, your best bet may be to use the SAT audio/video inputs on the AVR300. If the cable box doesn't have a Toslink optical output for audio for the SAT digital audio input on the AVR300, you can connect a coax audio from the cable box to the AV coax input on the AVR300, and remap it to the SAT button in the AVR300 setup menu.

This assumes you're using the AVR300 to handle video switching as well as audio. If you aren't, and just want to use digital audio input from the cable box, you can simply use any available optical/coax digital input (CD, AV, SAT, etc) on the AVR300, and map it (if desired) to whatever front panel button you want in the AVR300 setup menu.

On my setup I have a satellite box, but actually use the coax input to AV, and map the AV digital audio input to the SAT button.

HTH

Dean

3. vcarter

vcarter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dean, thanks. I will be using the AV300 for both audio and video switching, with component cables. So by running a simple coax cable for audio? How do I get my video signal from cable box to AV300--does this go directly from cable box to plasma? Many thanks.

4. vcarter

vcarter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry my previous response got garbled. I'll try again.

Dean, thanks. I will be using the AV300 for both audio and video switching, with component cables. So by running a simple coax cable from cable box to AV300 SAT in, I'm good to go for for audio?

How do I get my video signal from cable box to AV300--does this go directly from cable box to plasma? Many thanks

5. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    OK, if you have the digital audio connection to SAT on the AVR300, and you also want to use the AVR300 to handle video switching, do this:

1. run a component cable from the cable box video output to SAT High Quality Video In on the AVR300.
    2. Run a second component cable from High Quality Video Out on the AVR300 to your component video in on the plasma.
    3. In addition, run the component video cable from your DVD to the DVD High Quality Video In on the AVR300.

Now you should be good to go. Hit Sat on your AVR300 to watch cable, hit DVD to watch DVD. This switches both audio and video for you simultaneously.

You can run component cables for DVD and Cable directly to the plasma, but you'll have to switch the plasma video input and the AVR300 audio input independantly when you change sources. This is what I do, but with a remote that has macros to handle switching both TV and AVR with a single button.

Dean

6. vcarter

vcarter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, got it. Thanks for helping decipher the back of the AV300. Much appreciated.

7. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Great...enjoy your AVR300. I'm definitely enjoying mine. It's a great receiver.

Dean