Newbie TV over Satellite Queries

Meridean

Novice Member
Reaction score
Newbie TV over Satellite Queries

Hi Everyone,

Sorry for the Newbie questions I have tried searching and found lots of info but they all expect someone to have already started and understand the basics. I need to understand how to get started as a complete beginner.

My Objective:

I am moving into a new home which only has a TV point in the Living Room along with a Sky Input. I believe the current owners have Sky Q with 2 other mini boxes.

What I would like to know is how can I use the existing Satellite Dish to receive TV and then distribute this signal to about 8 different TV's using Wifi.

Most of the TV's are Smart TV's and therefore can get subscriptions such as Disney+, Netflix and Prime on the TV's themselves so it is really about getting TV (Freeview\Freesat type signals via the satellite dish)

Questions:

1) - What would I need to achieve this objective?

2) - How do I tell what Dish I have?

3) - what would I need to do in order to achieve my aim above? (I don't really want to install new cables if I can help it.)

I am open to all options and am not averse to technical options which require installation or configuration. Happy to consider everything.

Looking for all advice, links, guides for a newbie just starting out.
Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Last edited:
To do that with no cables and wireless only can be done but you will be limited to watching one channel at a time as clients all share the same server with just one tuner.

So for example any low end PC
  • USB DVB-S tuner
  • TVheadend as TV server
  • Emby media server running on PC as media server
  • Emby using Tvheadend plugin to give it access to the TV/DVB-S.
  • Plex will also do the same and its possible to get commercial NAS like ones from Synology that can run all of the above.

Then on your smart TV's you launch the Emby client to get access to the Live TV but as you have only one connection/tuner anytime someone changes the channel it changes for everyone.

There are attachments to split the signal from dishes called LNB 2 or 4 port which may work provided you then purchase 4 DVB-S tuners.

HDhomerun provide a solution that does all of the above but their UK version only supports DVB-T signals, not DVB-S.

You can do it with a Enigma 2 Satellite Receiver with FBC Tuners, the LNB on the dish will need to a Unicable II LNB but the cabling that you have have will be fine. You will then need something like an amazon fire stick with Kodi in each room that you want to watch the satellite TV.

A Receiver with FBC tuners nativley has 8 tuners but in reality can record and transmit a lot more, Receiver £300, LNB £50, Fitting of LNB £100, then FireSticks whereever you want them.

To do that with no cables and wireless only can be done but you will be limited to watching one channel at a time as clients all share the same server with just one tuner.

So for example any low end PC
  • USB DVB-S tuner
  • TVheadend as TV server
  • Emby media server running on PC as media server
  • Emby using Tvheadend plugin to give it access to the TV/DVB-S.
  • Plex will also do the same and its possible to get commercial NAS like ones from Synology that can run all of the above.

Then on your smart TV's you launch the Emby client to get access to the Live TV but as you have only one connection/tuner anytime someone changes the channel it changes for everyone.

There are attachments to split the signal from dishes called LNB 2 or 4 port which may work provided you then purchase 4 DVB-S tuners.

HDhomerun provide a solution that does all of the above but their UK version only supports DVB-T signals, not DVB-S.
Thanks for the reply. I suspect the last portion is probably what I am looking for.

You can do it with a Enigma 2 Satellite Receiver with FBC Tuners, the LNB on the dish will need to a Unicable II LNB but the cabling that you have have will be fine. You will then need something like an amazon fire stick with Kodi in each room that you want to watch the satellite TV.

A Receiver with FBC tuners nativley has 8 tuners but in reality can record and transmit a lot more, Receiver £300, LNB £50, Fitting of LNB £100, then FireSticks whereever you want them.
Excellent thanks for this. I think this may be my best option. I is there a particular LNB I would need to look at buying to fit to an existing Sky Satellite Dish? or do they all fit?

You need a UniCable 2 LNB, speak to a few installers and see what they say, but it can definitely be done as I am doing it

Its who I use, below is the box I have

Thanks for this, that looks great. I guess with 8 tuners (demodulators) this means that you could watch 8 channels at a time or 1 channel on 8 different TV's (Using a firestick and an app).

Also did you get any particular firmware or factory default?

Is there any setup\user guides anywhere you know of or is it pretty straight forward and obvious once you buy the kit?

I use openvix. with 8 tuners you can watch a minimum of 8 channels, does not matter if they are being transmitted to external clients or being recorded. I think people have had over 30 channels running at the same time

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom