newbie trying to transfer recordings from Sony HXD-870 to Sony GX-350 dvd recorders

peckhampleb

Novice Member
Hi. Haven't used a forum for years so Hi all and I hope you don't mind if I get straight to a question of transferring my titles from one Sony hdd dvd rec to another even older model. The 870 had been excellent but no longer will transfer recordings to a blank disc so I decided to purchase a used recorder, the freeview-less 350 but pleb that I undoubtedly am, cannot manage to do this though I have done in the past using different machines.
It's quite possible the leads are not correctly connected. I have one end of the (composite?) yellow, white and red connectors attached to the 'line out' of the 870 and the other end in the 'line in' of the 350. Good so far? If so what other leads/connections are necessary to accomplish the transfer and would I be able to monitor what's being transferred via the 350? If that's as clear as mud, my apologies. Cheers

Gavtech

Administrator
Welcome to the forum.

Just to check first - You are using the Line 2 INPUT jacks on the front of the '350 rather than the line 2 jacks on the back? ( which are an output.)

To monitor activities connect the 350 to the TV either via an HDMI cable or via a scart cable - from the lower scart socket to the TV.
Select the appropriate input on the TV to be able to see the output of the 350.

Your connections from the 870 should be correct.
All you should need to do is select Line 2 as the input source on the 350 and you should then see and be able to record the 870's output.

volvofan

Do you have a SCART lead by any chance?.

If so set the 870 to output RGB via SCART output,if it can plug that into the 350 RGB SCART input,record on the 350 as required.

Just assuming they do have RGB SCART in and outputs though,they might not have.

peckhampleb

Novice Member
Welcome to the forum.

Just to check first - You are using the Line 2 INPUT jacks on the front of the '350 rather than the line 2 jacks on the back? ( which are an output.)

To monitor activities connect the 350 to the TV either via an HDMI cable or via a scart cable - from the lower scart socket to the TV.
Select the appropriate input on the TV to be able to see the output of the 350.

Your connections from the 870 should be correct.
All you should need to do is select Line 2 as the input source on the 350 and you should then see and be able to record the 870's output.
Hi and thank you so much for the reply. Believe I've got the initial 3 connectors lead (line in/out) connected correctly. I've uploaded a short recording of the connections I have so far to my Onedrive account so you can see what is and isn't connected. I have a scart lead(s) and an HDMI, the scart(s) not connected. Do I need both? If you can see where I'm going wrong please do let me know and I apologise for my lack of tech knowhow. The link to my Onedrive file is: dvdrecconnections.wmv
Lastly which of the tv inputs do I use: HDMI/EXT/HDMI2DVI/AV/COMPONENT?

Thanks, Michael

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom