Newbie to X10 need some advice!

Discussion in 'Smart Home, Climate Control & Security Forum' started by Thebatfink, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Thebatfink

Thebatfink
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, where to start!!

I am looking to start some X10 home automation (assuming that is my best option). Currently my only requirements are as follows..

Controlled via IR (Logitech Harmony 880)
    Able to dim my main ceiling light in the lounge
    Able to dim my plug in lamp in the lounge

Now I am reading that IR is possible with X10 via an additional gadget. I also read that dimming both those lights is possible. Now the things that confuse me somewhat.

I WILL NOT screw one of those nasty white X10 dimmers to my wall :) Now, I have seen micro modules?? which appear to wire in behind the switch on the wall and can be wired into a "momentary action switch" so that on / off and dimming is still available locally at the switch.

- What is a momentary action switch?! Can someone point me to where I may purchase a momentary action dimmer switch which these micro modules could be wired to..
    - Is what Im talking about actually possible?..
    - What modules are actually required to do this, and what IR module do I buy?

Any help would greatly help my karma right now!

Thanks!

2. thudspud

thudspud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    Hello

Quick reply before I go to bed.

For the IR to X10 conversion you will need something like the IR7243 Infra-Red -> X10 Converter, available from places like letsautomate.com.

For controlling the ceiling light it will need a module which can be in the form of a wall switch although you have said you won't use them, not sure why, I have them throught the house and they are fine. Or you could go via another method of either the 'socket rocket' type which plugs direct between the light fitting and the bulb. I haven't used the micro modules you mention, only used some of the din rail mounted stuff for lights in my kitchen.

For the plug in lamp a simple LM12U lamp module will suffice, This is just plugeed inline with the wall socket and lamp, you give it an address and off you go, ability to tunr on/off + dim/bright, I have sime of these for sale in the classified forum ;) think I may even have one of the IR > X10 converters available, used to have two of them but got rid of my harmony ages ago, let me know if your interested.

Or there is a good starter kit here giving you the IR interface, lamp module, appliance module and the wall switch:

http://www.doctorenergy.co.uk/acatalog/Starter_Kits.html

Cheers

Chris

3. Thebatfink

Thebatfink
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply. To be honest, I can only find pictures of just the switch and some places say they are quite proud because of the extras behind the plate. I havent been able to find an image of one on the wall, dont suppose you could take a picture of one of yours for me?

Also on the IR boxes.. I guess these need to be in line of sight with the remote, and I'm planning only controlling these lights while watching TV etc so it will need to be around my AV setup. Whilst ok, they arent totally ugly, I'm unsure how these need to be positioned, how big they are extra, is it possible to not have it positioned in the middle of a wall where its totally on show. How did you have yours setup?

Yes I could be interested, I guess I'm just worried how its all going to look..

Cheers

4. wywywywy

wywywywy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    For the ceiling light, I think you'd be better off with this:
    http://x10-hk.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=21_30&products_id=53
    Just to avoid problems with backbox depth & buying a seperate momentary switch.
    This is not the ugly Marmitek one you've seen.

If you have to have a micro module and a momentary switch, MK do a momentary switch in their GridPlus line which can be bought from likes of Screwfix.

They also do a plug-in lamp module with a local switching button.
    http://x10-hk.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=21_31&products_id=44

I think these are also available from SimplyAutomate UK, badged as Domia 10.