Newbie to the AV world building a HTPC with Samsung 8000 LED looking for advice

R46

Standard Member
Well i'll start by saying hello and letting you guys know that I am a complete novice when its comes to AV equipment, even more so the complicated way's of connecting the whole system so it works as it should and to the best of its ability!

My current setup is very limited and shameful to say the least :blush::(

T.V - a 28CRT SONY Trinitron 100hz flat screen TV (behemoth) which given its dues has been absolutely faultless for the best part of 10years an only cost me £400 back then so I have well and truely got my money's worth out of it:smashin:

DVD - PS2

PC - AMD Athlon 64 X2 3.1ghz, 2gb DDR2 800 PNY Ram, 250GB Maxtor SATA drive, PNY Nvidia GeForce 9400GT 512mb running on a ASUS M2N 32 SLI Deluxe MOBO
The sound is from a Creative Audigy 4 Pro 7.1 surround setup

So I have been wanting to upgrade things for a while now and have put a bit of a dent in this months wage packet:oops:.........much to the mrs disapproval:boring::suicide:

This setup is going to be for the bedoom so I didnt want to go totally overboard on TV size so after hours of reading up about the differing Samsung models and along with there looks I just knew it had to be LED:D

So on saturday armed with all my new found knowledge about LED Samsungs I trawled the internet till I found a supplier who had one in stock............2hrs later it was mine and in the back seat of my car!

Samsung UE32C8000 LED SAMSUNG UE32C8000 LED TELEVISION - available from Superfi UK Visit http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/product_id/6624 for details and I must admit it is a very sexy piece of kit!

My room isnt too big and where I had in mind for the TV a 32" would be perfect so that was size!
Now I have always liked the LED panels purely on asthetics (wrong I know but meh its gotta look good) and had had no personal experience of them up until now!
I decided on the 8000 series mainly and dont laugh.......because of the panel surround more then anything! The gadgets and gizmo's were purely an added bonus and what is now turning out to be a bit of a waste in my case lol
I refuse to pay sammy's price for the wifi so i'm going cabled network access! The HD freeview isnt HD at all untill April next year I believe so am going to be subscribing to Sky HD tomorrow as I have a season of footy and racing to watch!
The PVR is a nice touch and the day after buying the TV I went out and bought mysef a 2TB WD MyBook Elite 2TB Western Digital My Book Elite Free Delivery : Western Digital External Hard Drives : Maplin

However, now that I have decided to upgrade my PC to a HTPC I think I have also made the PVR redundant now!! Oh well at least with all gadgets it'll be desirable when I come to sell it on...........
It still looks good and thats my priority:smashin: god i'm shallow haha :rotfl:

Anyway, onto the new PC..............

After buying my tv I bought myself a unit with 2 draw's and 2 shelves to sit in the corner of my room! The shelves are relatively small being 440w x 135h x 430d which limited me on the case I could have!

Now as you know i'm shallow which means it had to be a good looking case:smashin: but also sound levels were considered when speccing this system due to it being located in the bedroom.
I immediately loved the look of the Antec Fusion 450 Remote but due to its dimensions this was not really an option unless I wanted to replace my TV unit which was an option until I found the Antec Micro Fusion 350 with remote Antec Micro Fusion Remote VERIS Media Center Case.. | Ebuyer.com It's double skinned for quietness, comes with PSU (yet to se how quiet it is mind you), Remote control and it fits in with the look and more importantly the shelves in my unit so straight after work tonight I got it ordered :smashin:

Now i've decided on the case, the next upgrade would have to be the motherboard as I now need a mATX mainboard!

My only other requirements were HDMi port and a relatively good on board graphics......plus the obligatory good looks (only joshing........no seriously)

Now with the budget (which I hadn't set from the outset more what I can get away with spending without the mrs leaving me) slightly in mind I was a bit hasty and bought and paid for the Asus M4A785D-M PRO 785G Socket AM2+ Asus M4A785D-M PRO 785G Socket AM2+ DVI VGA HDMI Out 8.. | Ebuyer.com

I added all my components and paid for my basket but 30mins later after reading on OCuk I realised that I would be purchasing an AM3 CPU and DDR3 RAM and I also found out that there is now USB3 technology and SATA 6gs! Also with the new addition of SidePort Memory to help boost the graphics card I soon changed my mind on the motheboard called ebuyer and cancelled just the board and ordered from Dabs the Asus M4A88TD-M EVO Asus M4A88TD-M EVO/USB3, AMD 880G, AM3, 4DDR3, DSUB DVI HDMI, 2PCI-Ex16, Raid,USB3 & SATA6, mATX (M4A88TD-M EVO/U) - dabs.com for £20 more and feel much happier with my purchase.....I will sleep easy tonight :boring:

The only thing the new board lacked for me was onboard bluetooth so i purchased myself a BlueNEXT super mini BT dongle.

Now with the case and mainboard sorted It was now time to decide on the CPU!!

I have always only ever owned AMD chips so that was a full gone conclusion it was going to be AMD!

I have decided to go for the AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition.........Have you seen the box!! Dead sexy :rotfl:

I decided on the X4 over the X6 as I didnt think i'd use the X6 to the best of its ability and with the mainboard I decided on I believe it will accept the Hex core chips so if I want to upgrade in th future I can quite easily! Plus cpu's are small so the mrs wont notice me sneaking one of those into the house:smashin:

As for memory, well I was completely baffled by all the numbers if i'm honest and went with budget of £80 and wanted 4GB at DDR3 1600!
So settled on the Corsair Dominator 2 x 2GB DDR3 PC3 1600

Finally, I know I have every intention (infact dont tell the mrs but i've just won on ebay) a brand new PS3 but this is solely only for Grand Turismo if i'm honest as most games I play on the PC especially the 1st person shootem's! However it is still very rare I play games these days to be honest hence only the onboard graphics card..........for now;)
Anyway, finlly I decided to get myself a Blueray drive for the HTPC! I did umm and arr about getting one but a friend advised me that the PS3 is a very noisy and can get irritating at times when watching movies! I didnt get convincing to be honst!

As soon as I saw the Samsung SH-B083L Samsung SH-B083L 8x BD-ROM with DVD±RW DL &amp.. | Ebuyer.com I thought it would tie in once in the case very well! I really dont need a blue ray burner but if I ever do I can upgrade in the future but for now I am happy with the system I have ordered and cannot wait for all the box's to arrive tomorrow before noon:smashin::clap::thumbsup:

I also added as a last minute item a 1.5m Labgear gold plated HDMI 1080P 7.1ch certified cable to hook the HTPC upto the Sammy!

Now I currently have a Creative Audigy 4 Pro sound system with a 7.1ch setup however I only have 5.1 of the 7.1 speakers installe in the bedroom and this is ample if i'm honest!
I will be ditching the audigy card and the Audigy 4 processor and plugging my 5.1's directly into my new motherboard and my Sammy will be connected to the MOBO's Digital in sound port..........Is that the right way to do it so I get all my tv sound through the 5.1's?
The Sammy's speakers let it down in a big way so need to do something!

Pics wll follow tomorrow of the whole lot and I will let you know if I have any problems building the system!

Sorry for the long read, I hope it makes sense as I know my spelling and grammer are attrocious :blush:

if you have any questions please ask away and I encourage any suggestions be they positive or negative as I really am a complete newbie out of his depth:lease:

Ta

R46

Phlog

Hi,

I rather suspect that very few people have actually read right through your extremely detailed posting.

Have you actually got any particular issues you need help with?

If I can't help you, I'll gladly point you towards individual sub-fora.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom