1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie to projectors, which one?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by emporer, May 21, 2005.

1. emporer

emporer
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,640
    Ok, as in the dumb title I am thinking of putting a projector and screen in my attic as it's nice and dark and roomy. Basicly i'm looking for about 8ft viewing screen with projector. Now knowing bugger all about this can people point me in the right direction, cost is paramount and all it's gonna be used for is watching movies. Any suggestions or help choosing is greatly appreciated.

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Someone's asking a very similar question just a few threads down, may be worth keeping an eye on that and chipping in when needed rather than us repeating everything...

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214154

Also have a good trawl through this forum in general to pick up plenty of info..

...PJ :)

3. emporer

emporer
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,640
    yeah i'm looking about the forums at the mo. i see sopmeone is selling a Sony VPLHS1 with 7ft pulldown screen for £450 on the forums. The reviews on this pj seem ok. Anyone comment on this? is it a good price?

4. tonyjones

tonyjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just bought my first projector, a Toshiba TLP-ET1 and it's wicked

worth checking it out as a few months ago they were £800 and now I picked mine up at £382

5. Gordon WT

Gordon WT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I've had my ET1 for a couple of weeks now and it has transformed my DVD viewing. I had just bought a new Panny 32PD50 but watching DVD's on it is not as exciting as the "big" screen in my bedroom........a 5 ft pull-down projector screen. For the money you can't beat it :smashin:

Gordon

6. kudosdude

kudosdude
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Can I just say buy the best you can afford. I managed to convince the new missus that we "needed" a projector as a "cheap" alternative for a plasma screen (I wasn't convinced by the quality/lifespan). We plumped for a themescene H35 (wedding gift money). Put simply it has to be one of the best purchases EVER. It really was worth the money.

To be honest the picture quality is never going to compete with top of the line, but at the price range DLP really did embarrass LCD projectors, and it really IS better than ANY plasma for the price. Go buy something good, and impress all your mates :)

As an aside get some quality component cables too, MASSIVE difference in Quality.

Have fun.

7. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Is there a H35? :confused:

And could you enlighten us on the similarly priced LCD projectors it embarrassed? To make such a sweeping statement I'm presuming you did the comparison against all the modern LCD units, and not just one which is 2 or 3 years old?

8. kudosdude

kudosdude
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry, H30A (it was late :suicide: )

I can't remember all the projectors, but there was definitely a toshiba et-1 on special offer for £300 less, and that picture quality was shocking, I also looked at two hitachi's around the £1000 mark, I think one was the PJ-TX10, but not sure of the other. And a Sharp XV-Z10.

It's surprising how few places had projectors on show. My recommendations are based on what I saw, and my eyes preferred DLP.

9. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    The H30A certainly gets a lot of positive feedback, in line with its main DLP peer the Infocus 4805.

The Tosh ET1 similarly gets a lot of positive comments, considering the amazing price. I've never seen the PQ described as "shocking". The screenshots I've seen were amazingly impressive.

I would suspect the demo's you saw were less than optimal, an argument used liberally by DLP fans when the Hitachi TX100 was preferred to the Infocus 4805 in a simultaneous TV review.

I'm not saying LCD is better (or worse!) than DLP, what I am saying is the comparative language you use makes it sound like it is "night and day". And it's not.

Anyway, good to see you are pleased (the "WOW factor" is very common with PJs).

10. MikeD

MikeD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I don't wish to be picky or slate the ET1 which I'm sure is a fine machine but screenshots are pretty useless and should never be used to judge a projectors performance as the perceived quality will be totally dependant on the camera and the ability of the person using it.

I've heard a few people talk about TX100, 4805 demo but not heard anyone mention the details such as the test environment, calibration methods and the interconnects and sources used.
    Can you please be more specific about the results of the demo, presumably both projectors would excel in certain areas and both would have weaknesses.

11. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    I am well aware of the limitations of screen shots. I get tired of qualifying every comment I make though, every post would lead like a credit card set of T&C's. :)

I don't have details 'cause I only read about the results on this forum, I think they had them hooked up to one DVD player displaying the images side by side at the same time. It is true that this is not an ideal scenario as the ambient light from each projector will tend to wash the other out, however it was the same for both.

Anyway I mention this demo only as a counter to the commonly held view that LCD lags significantly behind DLP on a pound-for-pound basis. Sure if you bought an LCD unit 2 or 3 years ago and now swapped to a DLP the improvement would likely be dramatic, but the modern LCD units are extremely capable...PJ :)

12. MikeD

MikeD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

13. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings: