Newbie to photography

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by h31p, Jan 12, 2008.

1. h31p

h31p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi all

I'm really keen to get into photography so I bought myself a Nikon D50 last year but haven't really got round to using it yet.

I'm thinking that I may benefit from attending some kind of adult education course, so that I can get a basic understanding about 'how to take a decent picture' - composition, camera settings, etc, I guess, and a basic understanding of photo editing with the likes of Photoshop, too.

I'm not at all fussed about studying for a certificate / qualification, but I would like somebody that knows about photography to give me some help.

Are any of you guys able to point me in the direction of a suitable course (I'm based on the Surrey / Hants border), or offer any suggestions that may aide my development, please?

Many thanks

2. mwncidur

mwncidur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    A course may well be a good idea, but, a good start would be to post some shots on here, and let people comment on them and offer advice. :thumbsup:
    Doing that has helped me no end.

3. Holowlegs

Holowlegs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,015
    Hi ya

Welcome, I think the best way to learn is to get out there and take some pictures and like mwncidur post on here, for advice.

Cheers Holo:smashin::smashin:

4. allymac123

allymac123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +435
    As well as suggested as above have you read any books on photography?

5. h31p

h31p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I was given a good book about digital photography for my birthday last year, and it did cover many of the kind of things that I need to know. I feel that I need something more "hands on" though, with some expert guidance. So thanks for the offer of some feedback guys, I'll try and dig out some shots and I would be grateful for any feedback.

Thanks

6. lloydy53

lloydy53

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Posting your pictures on here will definitly be a good start. The criticism is always constructive and helpful, well nobody's called mine "crap" - yet!:D

7. Alun

Alun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +243
    I bought Langfords 'Basic Photography' a book released by Focal Press.

I'm finding it very helpful, along with the advice on here:smashin:

I'm also intending to enrol on the next OU course, its a Level 1 basic digital imaging course over 10 weeks for about £160

Click here to go to the OU website

Cheers,

Alun

8. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    There's always a first time M8 dont you worry:D Unless you are a Pro just trying us mere mortals out:rotfl:
    To the OP
    Seriously though , procrastination and fear of never being good enough are to be avoided:nono:
    Now that you have a camera your greatest cost( apart from upgraditis and lenses) will be time ( for shooting and PP), and developing an eye for just what to shoot.
    As useful as a course might be, you need to take your camera with you as often as is practical and just take pictures, spontaneously , or as happen subconsciously seek out opportunities and use them, whether the pictures turn out good or not so good. There is a whole raft of monthly magazines devoted to photgraphy with tips and video tutorials, inspiration can on occasion come from them
    Im rather a poor example myself ( my flickr is way out of date) but flickr ect may also spur you to upload an keep taking..
    All the best:thumbsup:

9. h31p

h31p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Guys, it's taken me a while, but I've now uploaded some shots to Flickr. My Flickr Photos

I'd be really grateful for any feedback - good and bad.

Please bear in mind that I am really a complete novice and none of these photos have been edited in any way, so if you think that there is anything I can do [in Photoshop] to make them look better, please let me know. Thanks.

They were taken with my Nikon D50, the majority with the standard kit lens, although I have a Sigma 70-300 that may have been used for some of them. All settings are automatic / standard - this is something that I really want to get my head round and try to understand it all better, so that I know when to tweak sertain things to achieve a better picture.

All feedback encouraged.

Thanks again.

10. bodoman

bodoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,858
    Very good photos:smashin:, bit confused though, you said on 12/01/08 that you had not really got round to using it, you must have been really busy since as the pics were taken in Thailand and from all over the place:confused:

11. h31p

h31p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yeah, I've not used it as much as I would have liked and have only really used it for "snaps" when away on holiday. I'd find myself going to all of these great places and I'd either leave the camera at home, or I'd carry it around with me all day and not really use it. :suicide:

I just feel that I'm not getting the most out of it and have had it for about a year now.

12. tontoshorse

tontoshorse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +693
    April 1st looks busy - Newcastle to Brighton on the same day and 275 shots apart!
    :eek:
    How do you find the 300mm lens?

13. h31p

h31p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Forgive me, new to photography and new to Flickr. The Newcastle shot was taken on the way home from Scotland last April; the Brighton shots were taken today!

I have to be honest and say that I haven't used it a great deal. Seems ok, but I find it quite tricky to control when I really zoom in on something - I can see it all shaking through the viewfinder! I've bought myself a tripod, but haven't used that much yet either.

14. tontoshorse

tontoshorse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +693
    If you look at the properties of the pictures, the Brighton Beach one and the Sage one (and 3 others) say the picture was taken in April 07, no big deal but you might be accidently changing the time setting on your camera.
    :smashin:

PS your Flickr link is now going to a Tom Saunders site!

Here's your link
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

15. h31p

h31p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    How does that happen?!

16. M1kee

M1kee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Hey I am not an expert photographer, just a newbie really, but your photos seem a bit too good to be a beginner? You seem to have gone from being a novice, to having 40 odd comments? Are you pulling our wottsits?:confused:

17. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    sorted:smashin:
    Ive converted the link back to yours

18. Spooky

Spooky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    I have only just started and decided that I would join a camera club, its a bit daunting (well it was for me) but benificial as there are always people with loads of experiance and a few like yourself looking for advice. Good place to get idea's and find answers on how everything works, competitions are good to get critique.
    I started taking pics around 7 months ago when I got my Nikon D50 and looking at my pics now compares to then its like night and day( I think), I hope that I can look back in another 7 months and still see improvements.

19. h31p

h31p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Not at all, honestly. I've had the camera a year and have only started using it more regularly over the last few weeks / month, but I have used it on the odd occasion like when I've been away on holiday.

I really want to learn about settings, composition, PS editing, etc. Thanks to everyone for the useful feedback so far.

20. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    Your original link ( which Ive now edited) was to Tom Saunders flickr site wich was ( to be fair ) not newbee at all hence the possible confusion

21. M1kee

M1kee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Silly me, yesterday you said, "Guys, it's taken me a while, but I've now uploaded some shots to Flickr", and all of a sudden you had 40 odd comments on each.
    Good luck anyway :rotfl:

22. h31p

h31p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Ha ha, that explains it and probably proves that I'm not pulling anyone's wotsits! :rotfl:

Thanks