1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie to P.J's Epson TW10H - Telewest

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by eveder, Apr 9, 2005.

1. eveder

eveder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just brought a Epson TW10H and am very happy with it for the money it cot BUT....... I cannot connect it to my Telewest box (UK) :lease: to watch TV! I get "Not Supported" when I connect to it? I have my xbox & DVD player working fine. Any help would be most welcome

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Hi :hiya:

Welcome to the forum, to get help on this I think you'll need to provide detail of the type of connection you are trying to use... scart, component, composite etc...PJ

3. eveder

eveder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm using a SCART/Component connection I made up myself, I have messed about with different source inputs but get a blank screen with "Not Supported" when I try the Telewest box? My DVD & Xbox work fine?
    Confused a projector I can't use to watch TV? it's got to be somrting simple? Please help.

4. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Have you checked that your sending RGB via the telewest box. I think by default it sends an composite video feed.

5. eveder

eveder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hiya Yeah just been messing about with that with the telewest box plugged into a television and my projector, If I set it to RGB I get "Not Supported" and on compsite I get "No Source" messages? I wanted to watch Dr Who in a minute :rolleyes:
    I can't believe it's not supported my friend has the same PJ and it works fine with a Sky box? I have mine connected the same?

6. eveder

eveder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've managed to get everthing up and running! i'm still not sure what I did different but it's all working. :thumbsup:

7. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Well, there is a SCART involved so just go with the flow!

...PJ

8. PjPip

PjPip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Make sure the input type is set to RGB in the projector setup menu and not component, which is my guess at why you got the not supported message.

9. andylorenz

andylorenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Epson TW10H connected to a Telewest Pace box via a 10m SCART to give component/RGB + Audio.

I have set output mode to RGB on the Telewest Pace.
    The SCART is plugged into the TV SCART on the Pace box (i.e. the one which supports RGB and not just composite)
    I have set input mode on Input A to RGB (it was defaulted to component)

I can hear the sound but the projector says :-

Not Supported
    H: 11.24KHz V:514.24Hz
    Source: Input A (RGB-Video)

Then I've tried various things like power off/on, switch input to/from Input A/B and also to SVideo and Video, also pulled out each of the red, green, and blue feeds in turn, and I still only hear the sound when I return to Input A - BUT The H and V settings change on each occasion to different values, such as :

H: 11.24KHz, V: 570.52Hz
    H: 11.24KHz, V: 293.15Hz
    H: 277.35KHz, V: 20.79Hz
    H: 11.24KHz, V: 339.30Hz

I see in this posting that the problem appeared to resolve itself (!)

can anyone assist? thanks all

10. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,087
    You say "via a 10m SCART to give component/RGB + Audio" does that also include a composite input (usually a yellow phono)?
    My Philips PJ will accept an RGB SCART input but it also needs the composite input connected which is used to synch the 3 signals together.
    The PJ came with a SCART to 4 phono adapter - Red, Green, Blue and Yellow.

11. andylorenz

andylorenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    nope, its a 3 x component/RGB (red, green, blue) plus 2 x audio (black/white). There is no sync.

I'm at a loss at the moment, my only glimmer of hope is "eveder" who had the exact same problem - but then fixed it and doesn't know how (how annoying is that!) :mad:

I have noticed the projector seems to "try" and make sense of the signal every so many seconds (40/50 maybe), wonder if I leave it on long enough will it eventually work out what's going on and sort itself out.

12. andylorenz

andylorenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    oh don't you just hate this cabling lark sometimes.

I bought a SCART to (3 component + 2 audio) output, assuming after reading a whole bunch of stuff about all this marlarky that as SCART doesn't actually support component, but uses the same pins for RGB, that I could use my component cable to get a RGB signal from my telewest to my projector.

Well I big fat forgot about the sync; and the Epson TW10H manual is woefully inadequate in REALLY describing how to connect various sources up to it (apart from going into great detail about laptops, as if that was all most people would want it for), and fails to mention that the RGB sync has to go into the "video" input (hhmm yes well we should know that of course), and possibly also supports an RGB with the sync on green - though I can't confirm this as I don't have the right devices or cables.

Either way I guess the £40 I spent on the 10m of component cable will just have to go down to experience.

unless anyone wants to gloat I guess this thread is dead ! :suicide:

13. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,087
    Don't panic!

OK first up I considered this PJ but it didn't have the throw characteristics I need so I know a little about it.
    The manual for the T10H is much more obvious and I guess is the same setup?
    ftp://ftp.epson-europe.com/pub/download/203/epson20336eu.pdf

Now cable junkies look away now :)
    I needed a 15m 4 way phono-phono lead to send an RGBs signal to my PJ I searched high and low and found nothing at all but custom leads that would cost £100's In the end I used 2 of these http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/partDetail.jsp?SKU=AV04350&N=411 which are audio leads :0. I read that whole thread on video connections in the cables forum but needs must when the devil drives. They are made by tech+link who are an OK manufacturer and cost £17.27+vat each which means they qualify for free (next day) delivery - hurrah!
    These are the 10m variants
    http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/partDetail.jsp?SKU=AV04349&N=411

You need one of these adapters by the look of things which is only £6+postage. Mine came with my PJ but looks similar.
    http://www.keene.co.uk/cgi-bin/bigcodesearch.pl?KA150S

Alternatively this should do the whole lot in one for £25.54 + VAT and delivery
    http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/partDetail.jsp?SKU=AV11058&N=411

You should be able to either return your component leads under distance selling or sell them on at a small loss on the classifieds here.

14. andylorenz

andylorenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    thanks for the info on cabling, but the problem I have is trying to get a video AND audio signal from my telewest PACE box in one room to the projector in the other (a run of a good 7/8m once obstructions worked around in the cellar). There are many cables which will do either video OR audio, but not both (unless you are happy with composite). Case in point, the cables you have pointed me at are all video OR audio but not both.

The cable I purchased carries component (3 RCA) and audio (2 RCA) which would be ideal IF the PACE box supported RGBs (whereas it must only support RGB given my problems).

I am thinking perhaps that my best course of action is to keep my component cable for future use (next gen telewest box?), and just try find another cable which does RGBs+audio, EXCEPT I can't find one !! Once again all I can find is RGBs OR audio, but not both together. I can understand that most people are taking audio feeds to a different device than the video, but surely you still want these all to come from a single scart connection?

the hunt continues !

15. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,087
    Scart socket to plug adaptors with breakout leads terminating in phono type sockets.
    AV01454 allows stereo L+R audio breakout via 2x phono sockets.
    http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/partDetail.jsp?SKU=AV01454&N=411

One of these should break out the audio and pass the picture through so you could attach an RGBs adapter to that - but there's always a danger that not all the pins are connected for pass through.