1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie to Online Gaming

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by specky, May 9, 2003.

1. specky

specky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice for online gaming. I've just got broadband and want to make full use of it....and I'm bored of playing against dull computer AI.

Can someone please give me some starter points to get me going. I'm keen on any type of first/third person shooter and I'm a huge fan of the C&C universe.

Much appreciated.

2. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,117
    Hehe, be prepared for a world of pain! Online gamesplaying is amazing, I would recommend that you look at

CounterStrike - The ultimate FPS, this is a mod for half-life, you can either buy the retail version (part of the generations pack) or download the mod from www.fileplanet.co.uk. This is quite tactical and a little slower than most FPS games. Requires matchmaker software like Gamespy 3D.

Battlefield 1942 - Very good large scale FPS. Has a ridiculous assortment of vehicles, is faster than Counterstrike, but can be a lot more disorganised. Has in-game matchmaker.

UT2003 - This is the best twitch online shooter, this requires fast reflexes :). Has in-game matchmaker.

Planetside - Massive Multiplayer FPS, just gone into open beta. One big server.

RTS games

C&C Generals - The multiplayer on this is very good. In game matchmaker.

Warcraft 3 - Also very good, but has quite a few lame strategies in it. In game matchmaker

Tactical Commander (aka Shattered Galaxy) - Massive Multiplayer game, very good. One big server.

3. specky

specky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sinzer,

Thanks for your help so far. Can you suggest any decent sites that host C&C Generals?

4. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,117
    You should be able to use the ingame matchmaker fine. However, I am pretty sure it is supported with Gamespy arcade, if you want some chat rooms to go with it.

There is an old thread on the forum with a couple of players listed on it.

5. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    I'm currently enjoying Black Hawk Down multiplayer- haven't even looked at the single player yet!
    Most enjoyable with some huge maps. The more u play the more experience you get and promoted accordingly. You can even win medals etc.
    The pings (lag) are v good with my broadband connection and I think the servers are going to be upgraded to a higher band width soon (ie even faster).

See you on in the war zone. priv8pile (my player tag) signing off.......