Newbie to NAS: help required to set up a N54L as a media server

RichD1

Novice Member
I've inherited an HP N54L which has been used for film back ups. I believe it has been configured as RAID1 with 4 x 3TB drives. I'd like to convert this into a media server on my network to stream music to my analogue hi-fi via a suitable streamer/DAC.

I've read the FAQ's section on here but it doesn't appear to answer my particular question.

I'm not sure what OS it is currently running but do I need to install something like Plex Media Server or similar to manage the music files before I can think about streaming it to my chosen streamer/DAC?

I also have a Chromecast Audio and a DACmagic which feeds into my old NAIM system. Would the Chromecast app. on my iPad provide the control between NAS and CCA?

Richard

Helix Hifi

I’m not familiar with that NAS, but as you know NAS is an excellent option to run as media/music server too your network, thus eliminating a CD player. Frankly I’m no expert. But there should not be any problem using your iPad as a remote to control your music. That’s pretty common these days. A NAS setup is connected to your router, then depending on which operating system you use, in this case Apple, you may need to download the Samba file sharing protocol to share your files wirelessly to your network. And your router needs to accept Samba. Good luck.

Last edited:

jamieu

I'm not sure what OS it is currently running but do I need to install something like Plex Media Server or similar to manage the music files before I can think about streaming it to my chosen streamer/DAC?
Yes, that should all work fine and would be the most sensible route as it allows you to index and manage your music collection centrally.

Plex should work fine and installs on most platforms. Your phone/laptop becomes a remote control, with your music being streamed from the Plex running on the NAS to the Chomecast directly.

Although Plex is primarily focused on Video (with a side order of music functionality). So you may want to look at alternatives like Logitech Media Server or even just a DLNA/UPnP music server (have a search on the forums, there are tutorials on both hidden in various posts).

I also have a Chromecast Audio and a DACmagic which feeds into my old NAIM system. Would the Chromecast app. on my iPad provide the control between NAS and CCA?
No, you'd use the web interface or control app for whatever music server software / protocol you are running on the NAS. The server software on the NAS handles the actual playback/casting, the control app just tell it what to do.

This also allows you to turn off your phone after playback has been initiated (ie. you kick off a playlist) or start playback on one device and then switch to another device to change the volume or pause whatever is playing.

Helix Hifi

No, you'd use the web interface or control app for whatever music server software / protocol you are running on the NAS. The server software on the NAS handles the actual playback/casting, the control app just tell it what to do. —————-You explained it better then me. That’s what I meant. As an example a Node2i connected to a NAS only stores the music, like and old CD player just a more massive music library, instead of having a 5-disc CD player. He can tell the app he’s using to control he’s music either if he wants to stream music, he’s own riled files on a iPad, tablet...But regardless of platform, Apple or Windows, Chrome Book, don’t you need to enable your router to accept the Samba file sharing protocol?

Last edited:

reevesy

Distinguished Member
Don't know about setting it up as a proper Nas..but I've used one for years for all my streamed media...

just stuck win 7 on it...all my music goes wirelessly to a squeeze box touch...and all video to a mede8er player.

Chromecast should be able to pick win 7 up ok ?

Works for me

bruny

Don't know about setting it up as a proper Nas..but I've used one for years for all my streamed media...

just stuck win 7 on it...all my music goes wirelessly to a squeeze box touch...and all video to a mede8er player.

Chromecast should be able to pick win 7 up ok ?

Works for me
Agree with the above. I use one for Sharing my music and video. I have the N54L connected to a network switch which is connected to my router. Also connect my Auralic Mini network player (music) and Dune media player (video etc) to the network switch. The Dune uses SMB to connect to the network and the Auralic uses its own app (LighteningDS) on my IPhone. Once They are connected to your network it’s very convenient for playing movies and music. I have Windows home server 2011 on the N54L. I would try and find out what Operating system is running on your N54L I.e Windows or Linux. As it would be easier to recommend which software would run on it.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom