1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie to home cinema, X1??

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by mplaczek, Aug 12, 2004.

1. mplaczek

mplaczek
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everyone.

Quick quesiton from a newbie here, so please be gentle :)

I have been playing with the idea of getting a projector. My partner and myself love movies and this is what it will be used for 99% of the time. I don't have a huge budget and was thinking of the Infocus X1 as it seems to fit the bill.

Are there any other projectors worth considering at a similar price?

I will probably have to connect more than one type of DVD player to the projector as some disks seem to play better on one player than another.
    I have the Apex AD-600A DVD player and I know that will not be a problem to connect, However I would rather use my PS2 or my girlfriends G5 Mac as they have optical outputs for the audio.

Are there any issues with using a PS2 or G5 with the infocus X1??

Thanks for answering my silly questions. Sorry if they are a little nieve :rolleyes:

2. ntslik

ntslik
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I think you'll find the X1's gone

3. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi and welcome to the forums.....

... That doesn't tell the full story............. it's been replaced by the X2, available from Nexnix (among others, I dare say)
    Click Here for details. The X1 has a great following, particularly in the USA, but if movies is to be the main purpose, you might consider getting a projector with a native widescreen DMD/panel - there are lots of options available but none at quite as low a price as the X2 (£700..). At about £1000 there's lots of choice - Click Here for a list of what's available at Nexnix, for instance. A look at the list of forum sponsors will point you towards other suppliers and you can get an idea of what is available and at what price.

Hope that helps,

Sean.

... not that I've heard of............ there's a link in the FAQ to a site that has all kinds of info about the X1 - have alook there, you might find it helpful.

Sean.

4. Paul Williams

Paul Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Loads of X1 deals around at the moment. Don't think the X2 has the faroudja dcdi which combined with the Pixelworks scaler is the element that made the X1 so good.

Paul

5. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Paul,

Yip.... :blush: ... forgot about the absence of Faroudja on the X2.... it's on the 4800, iirc. Also spot on about the other deals on the X1, already posted here in another thread.

Sean.