1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie to home cinema needs help

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Stoo, Feb 11, 2002.

1. Stoo

Stoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    any help or explanations here would be very welcome.

I have a Sony 32" w/s that has virtual dolby. I have a Samsung 511 DVD player. If virtual dolby is switched on the audio goes loud then quiet then loud then quiet (and always in the same place on the DVD) I've tried Moulin Rouge R1 and Shrek R2 and they both do it. If I press the audio button on the DVD handset I'm told the audio is Dolby 5.1. I sure my TV won't play 5.1 so how do I get around this? I will be buying a 5.1 surround kit soon but I'm a little upset that I can't watch certain filsm without this odd audio effect. I watched NBKillers R1 okay last night with no odd effects.

What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance.:confused:

2. Spencem

Spencem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I'm not sure of this because I don't know your DVD player, but try setting the DVD to 2 channel stereo. I presume that you have the TV and DVD linked with a scart cable with is carrying the Audio, this should be a downmixed version of the 5.1 but it's worth trying the studio mixed 2 channel sound, which should also be carrying a DPL signal.

Good luck.

3. Stoo

Stoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you, I'll give that a try. Milton Keynes eh? I'm down there on wednesday for a site visit to my companies office at Willen Lake (Siemens)

Thanks for your help.

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    It is a common feature of DD soundtracks that, when they are downmixed to stereo, the dynamic range gets noticeably compressed. The only way out of this is to use the digital DD output from the player into a suitably equipped amp (or TV) that can take, and reproduce, the DD soundtrack properly.