1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie to HCPC seeks advice!

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by wozwebs, Nov 25, 2003.

1. wozwebs

wozwebs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Hi there, I have reading the threads on this board for a week or so now and think I may create my own HCPC to get the best out of my AE100 Projector.

All the posts I have read say that a PC VGA connection is the best way to gain the best picture. I currently have it connected to my Toshiba SD330 via Component cables. Do you think the PC route will deliver MUCH better results than this?

My current PC spec is as follows & in the 1st instance I would rig it up to see how it looks first.

Would all this be good enough for a HCPC?

Athlon XP 1800
    ATI Radeon 7000 VE 64MB SDR SGRAM 1:1 / SDRAM with TV-Out
    768MB RAM
    80GB Hard Drive
    DVD-RW
    CD-RW
    Bog-standard Yamaha Legacy sound card (16bit)

Also what kind of soud card do you need to get DD 5.1 & DTS?

In the first instance, what VGA cable should I get? Is it just a standard male to female cable as these can be had on ebay for a couple of quid?

Also, what is the best software to use when playing DVD's? I have WinDVD currently.

Sorry for all the questions but any help would be most welcome.
    ;)

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. wozwebs

wozwebs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Thanks Kramer, great review although it is 20 months old now so I would presume things have moved on a stage.

Anyone got any further recomendations for me to get set up?

4. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Isn't it about time there was a sticky on how to build an HCPC from scratch, think of the huge benefits to members. I'd happily do a pictorial guide on it when my next PC build is due.

5. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    My PC build is actually pencilled in for this week, i'll see if i can take some pics and make an "Idiots Guide" of sorts which people can add to.

6. mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have no experience of the AE100/ Tosh combo you've got, but FWIW...............

Your PC setup certainly looks OK to me, at least as a basic rig to get started with and you could see how it goes without spending much, but a better sound card would be good if you do want to get serious. What you should get, generally, depends on what you want from a system and on your budget, of course. It is extremely worthwhile to spend a lot of time researching and then planning it out.

There are several relatively inexpensive 'player' sound cards which will let you pass DD and DTS via SPDIF and/or optical through to an amp/receiver. I have an M-Audio Revolution 7.1, which has SPDIF and analogue outs, features like SRS Circle Surround II etc. It's only got line in but it's all I need for external sources and I'm very happy with it. There are other cards very much more and very much less sophisticated. Anything Creative is pants.

A good quality VGA cable is worth the investment but maybe you could get an idea of video quality potential at least from a cheaper one. Ask the AE100 owners here what they use.

PowerDVD and Zoom Player are the software players I use for DVD. Others use WinDVD and some use WMP9 even. TheatreTek is supposedly the cat's pyjamas, but I haven't tried it myself.

Hope this helps..................

7. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,710
    I'd get a Radeon 9000 (fanless), drop the Ram to 512MB you don't need any more than that. Get an M-Audio Revolution, for the price you can't go wrong. Get a VGA cable from www.lindy.com , oh and Theatertek is fantastic, would definitely recommend it despite it costing $60 or whatever it is..

Cheers
    Andy