1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie to freeview analogue or digital?

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by markbigears, Dec 31, 2003.

1. markbigears

markbigears

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Can you guys help with a basic question .... ive just bought a plasma so obviously want the best picture avaliable. At present the signal is from an ariel, so i take it its analogue .... If i buy a freeview box, am i right in thinking this converts the signal to digital? or am i better off getting and paying for sky? which i don't really want to do. My ariel is a digital one if that makes any sense what so ever! Cheers guys.

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    With Freeview the digital data is sent on seperate UHF frequencies so there is conversion required.
    Analogue and digital channels are sent via the same method but are apart from being accessible via the same aerial they are different so as long as you live in a good reception area and you already have a wideband(digital) aerial you should get a good picture via DTT.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,388
    Whatever version of TV reception you have it will be sent to your plasma as an analogue signal.
    Freeview and Sky are transmitted to your house as digital and then the STB converts the signal to one that your TV/plasma can display.
    If all you require are a few channels then just get a FV STB. If you want loads of channels and are willing to pay a subscription then get Sky (& a FV STB?). Many people that have Sky also have Freeview as the basic channels are better quality on FV.

Mark.