Newbie to Blue Ray!!

ArcticFox77

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hey guys/girls, i'm ready to move forward in the world and go for a Blue Ray player. I have a few questions.

1. I have a panasonic 37" 500 series.
2. Will a blue ray player play normal DVD's?
3. I have a camcorder which is a panasonic HDC-SD9, i'm looking for the player to be able to read the sd card (SDHC) that comes with this camcorder.
4. I have a budget of £200.
5. I want the player to be future proof. What should i look for or wait for??
6. I live in the UK so i'm guessing a region B player for Europe.
7. Can i hook a blue ray player ONLY by HDMI? Or do i need other cables? If so what cables should i be looking for??

Sorry this is a lot of noobie questions, but i just want to be 100% sure before i pay alot of money on a player.

Thanks on advance.

OK, lets see if I can help.

1. Not a question :p

2. Most definitelly, and it will probably upscale them as well, which will make them look better on HDTVs

3. Any Blu-ray player with an SD slot should be able to read it. SDHC just stands for SD High Capacity

4. Also not a question

5. I don't know about future-proofing it, but I would doubt you would get a now-proof (capable of everything) for £200. Thats not to say you shouldn't get one, but you'll either need to sacrifice some features or pay more money (why else would there be more expensive players)

6. That's right. An aweful lot of blu-rays aren't region coded though, so importing is a lot more viable than it was with DVDs

7. That depends. If you want 1080p, then yes, you need to use HDMI. Otherwise Component will do fine as well. If your TV supports it, you can get sound out of the HDMI, if not you'll have to hook that up separetelly. Also, don't fall for the marketing ******** in stores. Better HDMI cables do not give a better picture. With analogue cables (such as component), it does make a difference, but HDMI is digital, so either the picture will work, or it won't. I am currently using a tesco value HDMI cable to connect my PS3 to my monitor (yes, such things do exist!) which cost me about £3, and it works perfectly. You only NEED better HDMI cables as the length gets longer, so assuming it's only going to be about 1m or so, any cable will do (as long as it fits well and doesn't fall appart. if you get a loose connection in HDMI you will know about it - the picture will either just not work, or will be completelly screwed up (like I accidentally knocked my cable partially out of it's socket (well, the DVI adapter it was conneted to) and the whole picture turned green and purple and went all staticy)

Hey guys/girls, i'm ready to move forward in the world and go for a Blue Ray player. I have a few questions.

1. I have a panasonic 37" 500 series.
2. Will a blue ray player play normal DVD's?
3. I have a camcorder which is a panasonic HDC-SD9, i'm looking for the player to be able to read the sd card (SDHC) that comes with this camcorder.
4. I have a budget of £200.
5. I want the player to be future proof. What should i look for or wait for??
6. I live in the UK so i'm guessing a region B player for Europe.
7. Can i hook a blue ray player ONLY by HDMI? Or do i need other cables? If so what cables should i be looking for??

Sorry this is a lot of noobie questions, but i just want to be 100% sure before i pay alot of money on a player.

Thanks on advance.

You seem to tick every box for the ever popular (and justifiably so) Panasonic BD35.... you'll even get the added benefit of being able to use your same remote to control everything. It's futureproof int he fact that it is regularly updated, supports the very latest BR profile, decodes everything internally.... it's about as futureproof as any other player currently on sale!

Panasonic DMP-BD35EB-K Profile 2 Blu-ray Disc Player: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

The HDMI cable suggested just below it is perfectly adequate as pointed out above too :)

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Be very careful of SD slots, just becase they are there on players does not mean they will play you video recorder footage. Check and double check the model you are unterested in buying.

DVDs will play subject to the usual region and NTSC / PAL restrictions. This will depend on players and where you are.

I would start at the Panny 35 but check that video footage first.The UK 35 is multi region hackable and PAL / NTSC happy.

5. I don't know about future-proofing it, but I would doubt you would get a now-proof (capable of everything) for £200. Thats not to say you shouldn't get one, but you'll either need to sacrifice some features or pay more money (why else would there be more expensive players)

:confused:
There are several players at the moment at that price that are "now-proof" as you call it. What features should be sacrificed?

Just to let you guys know, very pleased with the panasonic blue ray. If i was wanting to connect this to the internet and update the software on it, is it just a standard modem cable i need??
I am on AOL. Do i just connect it to the netgear router i have and that's it connected?? Or do i need to contact AOL and tell them i'm planning to do this??

Thanks.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom