1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie to biwiring - help please"

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Unlight, Jun 29, 2004.

1. Unlight

Unlight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Basically - how do I biwire?

Ive got the following kit -

CA Azur 640 amp
    CA Azur 640 cd player
    KEF Q4 floorstanders.

The KEF's have two sets of binding posts. Do I just buy some biwire cable, and take 4 connections to each side of the amp?

Will this get me better sound quality?

Please, help me out - im confused in a sea of biwiring, biamping, triwiring etc etc!

2. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,237
    you've got is sussed by the looks of it.. it's doubtful if you'll notice any major difference though.

I tried it years ago when it was all the rage and couldn't honestly tell any difference ( even though i still swore by it :) )

I can understand how bi-amping can change the sound ( two seperate amps for the high and low frequencies ) but running two lengths of cable back to the same set of terminals on the same amp can't make much (if any) difference as far as i can see it..

If you've already got your 'single wire' speaker cable I'd forget about buying any more for bi-wiring and go buy a couple of CDs instead..

3. rozzar

rozzar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    partly agree with 'The Dude'. Single wire, using nice cable (Nordost Flatline Gold is quite nice and open sounding) and then replace the little brass links on the speakers terminals with some speaker wire (preferably of the same type). This will give u 90% benefits of biwiring but using higher quality cable as you don't need to buy 2x as much!

4. Unlight

Unlight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yeah, I havent actually bought any speaker wire yet as I havent the room to set up my hi fi at the moment.. gutting!

Those little brass link things in between the terminals - how important are they? The reason being, I think I might have lost one while packing my speakers back up :(

5. overfloe

overfloe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi mate the brass link is important as they act as a jumper between the HF & LF, if you are using single wire.. give KEF a ring they will be happy to send you a replacement. alternatively like rozzar suggested buy some good single wire cable and cut some of it to replace the jumpers. for a price of a biwire cable you can get a better single wire cable and get more bang for the buck :)

6. Unlight

Unlight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks for all the tips!! Just off the phone to KEF who were very helpful, indeed they are sending me them out today :)

What single wire would you recommend for my setup? Or indeed if i went a bit crazy - what biwire?

7. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,483
    QED original or QED silver anniversary. Both cheap as chips and good quality. :thumbsup: