1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie TAG Advice Please

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by ukfatboy, Apr 30, 2004.

1. ukfatboy

ukfatboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Greetings all !

I've just agreed to purchase another members tag gear as follows :-

DVDFLR DVD player Silver
    100x5r Power Amp Black

and will collect at weekend. Wanted tag kit for so long, yipeee !

I would much appreciate advice on the following points please :-

I assume there may be software upgrades available, what should I be doing ?

I currently have a 7.1 setup so I need to add 2 more channels of power amp , recommendations please ?

and I suspect the most important bit , a processor ! TAG or not TAG ?? Budget £2k upwards

Finally my local hifi shop which used to be tag dealers , not now said that every piece of tag kit they ever sold broke down , should I be worried ??

Thanks in advance.

2. Teejoo

Teejoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi,

Congratulations! Nice kit. What you need to upgrade the units to the latest software is the TagTronic cable. With this you can download the software and update the units. For your other 2 channels in time another 100x2R would be very nice since you can profit from the Tagtronic bus connection. Assuming of course you are going to buy an AV32R! The big advantage in this is you also can use the sync link from your DVD32FLR! This is a very important step in gettig the best out of your DVD32FLR. If you could even get your hands on an AV32R DP, well then you can enjoy the GIANT impact of TMREQ.

Hope this helps.

BTW, that dealer is is talking crap. Of course we are talking about electronics here, and something can break down. But not more then with other brands.

3. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    Likewise,I'd say that your Tag dealer was talking nonsense...I've had mine for 2yrs now with no problems at all.

As for software upgrades,you may need to contact the Tag helpdesk(now running again)as you will know that they've been acquired by IAG(Quad's owners),and I'm not sure what their current support arrangements are.

4. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    A 100x5R would be great for the TAGTronic link. If not if you contact the helpdesk you can get a 60P for around £475, brand new.

I use my 60P for the rears and a 250x3R for the fronts with no problems.

As for a processor try for a AV32DP and your dealer is talking mince!

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,968
    They might not be talking mince. They may have only ever sold a DVD32r ;)

The more mechanically complex things are the more likely they will fail. DVD32r's (top loaders) have had.....issues.....

When I worked in retail it would be fair to say that more than you would want failed (dvd32r). However I can't recall any 5x100r's failing and only a couple of AV32r's. We sold alot of TAG AV kit for a time. I have no idea what the situation is with FLR32DVD player.

I concur though that a nice S/H AV32r would be an ideal partner for some TOP kit.

Gordon

6. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    As said above just get the gear sofware updated and get hold of a Tag pro as it will talk to the FLR and 100 by 5 through the bus. This means they all work in harmony also you get sync link to reduce jitter to a mininum by synchronising the clocks in the FLR and the pro. Ive never had any probs with my AV32R and Ive had two hardware upgrades.

7. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ukfatboy,
    it would be the smartest idea to go for used av32r (to be found very cheap lately) but be smart and go for at least bp192 model. i would also advice you not to go for upgraded model. if anyone tells you it does not matter it is not true! there were some substantial revisions on the av32r regarding sound quality. tag denied this but (i also heard it from some dealers who changed their units and most good dealers know what they talk about) after i changed my sp for bp192 (while waiting for dp - it took three months in my case) i was bluffed with improvement. (my first unit had sn under 200)
    i have a lot experience with tag kit, i still own dp and top loader and yes it is true what gordon says. all older and most of newer dvd32r are first candidates for going down! going for flr was great choice.
    so if you care about system integration go for av32r (tagtronic bus is great thing) , otherwise there are some great processors on the market too. enjoy the choice as long as you have it
    Kastrup

8. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    about two more channels, you have to stay with tag there, otherwise you might end with a mismatch. even if you get amps with the same gain it doesn't mean it's going to work fine alltogether

9. ukfatboy

ukfatboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the great advice all.

Think i understand position re processor.

On the amp side , is there an upgrade to 7 channel on amp or do I have to get 2 channel amp

thanks

10. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    You would require another 2 channel amp for 7.1,and whilst staying with Tag for that would be ideal,it isn't necessarily impossible to look elsewhere,as long as the overall sound character of the amps isn't too far apart.

Gain matching won't be a problem as you can match the levels via the processor.

I would also add that the Tag power amps aren't at their best with difficult loads,so it may be best to try and avoid speakers which have low impedance swings at low frequencies...I certainly noticed this when auditioning some B&W Nautilus speakers.

11. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    With your 100/5R you can have it upgraded to seven channels. Tag can remove two of the 150w monobloc modules and replace them with two 2/70w stereo modules which will give you 3/150w for the front three and 4/70w for the surrounds. The stereo modules can be run in stereo or bridged if you dont need all seven channels.

12. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    Apologies...brains of a fruit fly today...I was thinking of a previous model!

In that respect,the load tolerance of the amp is also improved over it's predecessors.

13. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    No big deal mate, just thought I should jump in.

14. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    Much appreciated!...had better go back to sleep here!

15. ukfatboy

ukfatboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Thunder,

thanks for the info, would seem the most sensible option to me, do you know how much it costs and indeed whether quad are going to still do the upgrade ?

Thanks

16. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I talk to Barry who works on the help desk quite regularly and as far as I know all the original upgrades are available as before. But you will need to contact tmahelpdesk@internationalaudiogroup.co.uk to confirm.

17. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    Many thanks also,Thunder....awaiting a reply from the helpdesk now re upgrades.

18. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    Regarding faults with TAG gear, specifically the DVD32R, I asked this question of the new owners as the old TMA had said that any issues with the transport/flexy foil or door mech (about the only three things can have gone wrong) would be repaired regardless of age, the reply was that they would honor such promises within reason......Now we just need someone to put it to the test....but they do seem very reliable these days.....

I should explain that the DVD32R was prone to transport damage (the carrying kind) with its orignal mechanism, a new way of locking the transport was used on the later units and a new courier.......However eventually the orignal mech was changed for a Sanyo sourced unit which parked its transport on power off with much improved reliablity. This introduced a small problem with a flexy foil that goes between the laser assembly and the electronics, which was also sorted out quickly with a new/re-seated foil. Door problems result from a "querky" design I'm afraid and several mods were released that made the door "acceptable", it always works but isn't that wonderful and in keeping with a £5k unit......

I have suffered all the above but then our unit was the first delivered (never be first unless your expecting these sort of things), but all have been fixed with prompt service and continue to work well (the unit is well over 4 years old now). The FLR variant had the later transport and naturally could only suffer from the flexy foil business as it don't have a loading door;) I haven't heard of a FLR failure though......and I have heard of very few AV32R/AV192R failures and only one amp failure, not bad really as there are far more out there than people realise....
    I would have to say that it is wise to try and get a unit that hasn't previously been upgraded (192DAC's/by pass/Dual Sharc) or a unit that has had these features from new as some of the upgrades are quite complicated depending on original vintage and although carried out by some highly skilled people can lead to weird issues that no doubt would be complicated to track down, having a virgin unit to upgrade makes things easier for everyone especially if it is a later unit. If they are under warrenty then no worries but if your paying to get it fixed I'd want to know what was being done and why...just for peace of mind really......
    There were some great bargains on TMA gear when the rumour mill started on its demise, I grabbed what I could and am very happy......

Talk to Barry at the TMA helpdesk, he is a good bloke and will sort out any upgrade you want as necessary assuming availability. You might also find that the guys that did this work at TMA might just be working for IAG now, or at least some of them;)