Question Newbie System Build - Help/Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by The Barron, Jul 14, 2015.

1. The Barron

The Barron
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all

I'm a long time lurker on the forums and seldom poster, but now i come to you all requesting advice from all of you knowledgeable people.

Current set up is a Sony 42W829 Smart TV, and mostly used inputs are the PS4, PS3, Apple TV and occasional HD Freesat use. Was using the soundbar that came free with the TV offer last year as a temporary solution.

Previously used system was an old HTIB, the Sony HT-DDW670. Was good for its time, but now the time has come to make some changes.

I have already purchased a new AV Receiver, too good an offer to say no to from Richer Sounds, the Sony STR DN1050. Until I have saved some more cash to upgrade all the speakers I intend to use the not too bad ones from the HTIB system as they have, in my humble opinion, pretty good sound. 80mm cones, 6 ohms impedance. So if I am correct these should be fine with the new receiver.

However the old Sub being passive, will obviously not be compatible, so a new sub is required. So i've been looking to pick up a fairly, by HT standards, reasonably priced amp as i intend to upgrade all the speakers down the line. So in the interim was looking at entry level £100-150 range amps.

If you all have any recommendations i'll gladly take them on board. And any comments in general about the set up will obviously be welcomed as well.

Thanks in advance.

2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    Personally I would put the money towards an active sub instead. You need a mono block amp for the passive sub which would not be a lot of use when you did change your sub. So anything you spend on the amp is just a waste IMHO. You can buy something like the Wharfedale SW150 for around what you plan to spend on the amp anyway. Put a bit more in and then you can buy a BK Electronics sub.

3. The Barron

The Barron
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hey, thanks for the reply.

Yes, I fully intend to ditch the passive sub and buy an active one. So thanks for the pointers