Newbie - Subwoofer Set Up Help PLEASE

M

mykaloon

Hi

Just unpacked my newly delivered Mordaunt Short 309 subwoofer and have connected it up to my amp and nothing's happened - thought it would be a case of plugging in and you'd get some sound which would need to be tweeked - but nothing....

Here's a list of what I've bought and connected up so far...

Sony DVP-NS355 dvd player connected to Sony STR-DE497 amp using a Profigold PGD483 cable. Then connected the subwoofer to the amp using a Profigold PGA4105 sub woofer cable. Only problem here is that I've connected the sub cable to the audio out sub woofer on the amp but the sub has inputs for speaker cable and also L and R inputs under the heading LINE IN with an in and an out section. Problem is the interconnect I have only has one plug - not two for going into a Left and Right.

Anyway, have been into the menu on my amp and reset it back to factory settings with no change.

I've checked and double checked all the connections with nothing appearing loose.

Any pointers or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Mykaloon

mykaloon - does youre amp have a setting to say "yes" to a sub as this may need to be turned to on.

Hi

Initial panic over. Just turned the volume up on my amp - it was sitting at 35 -40 but when I turned it up to 65 things happened - goes up to something like 72 at maximum so please to say things are working....

The sub itself has a volume and frequency setting min-max and also a phase - 0 or 180. Any idea what's the best way to initially set things up?

Mykaloon

"Tons of Fun" is the MS expert and he may give you more useful guidance in the morning but for the time being you can connect the subwoofer cable to the left hand input on the sub. Try the sub's volume control at about 45 and then run the test tones on the amp to try and get the levels of all of the speakers including the sub matched.

Ideally this should be done with an SPL meter but if you haven't got one you will have to level match by ear which isn't as easy as it sounds. With the test tones running try raising the output level to the sub until you can just hear it which generally means that it's too loud so turn it down again by a fraction.

If your sub is roughly in the same plane as the main speakers the phase will probably be best set at zero but it won't harm to play with this and see what sounds best.

If the frequency control can be switched off do so and the crossover will then be handled by the amp. If it can't be switched off set it at maximum and try the speakers set to small in the amp's bass management.

Thanks Ian - will have a tinker around with things tonight - hopefully "Tons of Fun" will join in on this post in the morning to give me a bit more guidance but guidance given so far is much appreciated.

Mykaloon

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom