1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie Sub question...

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Jimbobgod, Jan 30, 2005.

1. Jimbobgod

Jimbobgod
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just read the 'installing a subwoofer' article linked at the top of this section, but still have a few questions to ask. I'm setting up my sub for the first time, with my aging Sony STR-DB940 amp. The manual for the amp suggests setting the sub crossover frequency as high as possible, but is this really advisable? I currently have large Mission 773e front speakers (set to 'large' on the amp), and want to avoid duplicating bass frequencies between these and the sub. Does anyone know what the bass cut off frequency is for the LFE channel on the STR-DB940, it doesn't seem to mention it in the instructions.

Many thanks in advance for your help :thumbsup:

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I don't have any knowledge of your amp and you don't mention what sub you're using but here's a basic guide to setting things up:

Set all your speakers to "Small". They'll still get plenty of signal so don't worry.
    Set the crossover in your amp to 100Hz if you can.
    Set the subs crossover to "bypass".

Calibrate all of your channel volumes using an SPL meter if you can (as you should already have done with your other speakers anyway).

Sit in your listening position with a cool beverage listening to some music that you know very well (obviously it's best if it has some bass content) and ask your lackey to slowly move the subwoofers crossover control across it's range. You might be happy with it anywhere along it's range so it's up to you.

That should be a good starting position, from there you can adjust the position of the subwoofer, tweak the amplifier's bass settings (try 80Hz crossover, large front speakers and so on) until you're happy. :)

3. Jimbobgod

Jimbobgod
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice Eviljohn, got the system set up and working, it certainly adds a new dimension to DVD soundtracks! The sub is the XLS200-DF by the way, what a superb performer! I needed a physically small sub due to my room constraints, and it blends in perfectly with my other speakers, at least to my ears. Cheers again! :)