1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie stupid question No. 10

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by UselessPratt, May 8, 2003.

1. UselessPratt

UselessPratt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whats the point of video ins and outs on the AV amp?

2. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good question.

Idea is you plug your various kit into the amp and then switch all inputs via that.

Lots of people don't use this feature though for two main reasons:

1. You get a purer signal going straight to the display connections.

2. Not many amps enable you to plug in component or RGB connections.

I don't use it on mine for the above 2 reasons.

3. steev

steev
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll bite.

It's useful if your TV doesn't have enough inputs for all your equipment. It also makes sure you get the right sound and picture at any time.

But, many people say that the extra switching compromises picture quality.

Personally I have a receiver that only switches composite, but I'm not using that feature. I have a SCART switcher that I only use to let me record terestrial on the VCR whilst watching cable. The advantage of that is that I don't need the receiver turned on then, but in this case it's still only switching composite.

Further up the price range you can get S-Video and/or RGB/component switching.

Does anyone use this feature?

4. Ian Cox

Ian Cox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This feature is used if you have got a projector or plasma screen that does not have Scart inputs as these devices usually only have one of each video input (composite, S-Video and component). In this circumstance then the feature is really useful as you can plug all your video devices into the amp and then get it to feed the display device otherwise you would end up plugging a different device into the projector or plasma each time you want to watch it.

For most of us though this feature is never used as Scart is much more convenient way of connecting devices to your TV.

5. UselessPratt

UselessPratt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oaky, I understand that! Thanks!
    I have a plasma, so do have limited inputs. It's nice to have the option of using the AV amp, I suppose.