1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie stuff - Again (I'm sorry!)

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by DaveP, Feb 22, 2005.

1. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I call my PC an HTPC but all it runs at the moment is Media Centre 2005 and it is connected up to my Sony HS20.

It looks like I need the following in order to get the best PQ possible:

TheatreTek 2.1
    FFdshow
    Dscaler

Theatretek is obviously downloadable but the question is: Is there anything to stop me buying in Dollars (£36.69) instead of GBP (£39.34) I know theres not much in it but it's the principle!

Is there a guide, in simple english, on how to configure ffdshow?

Similarly for DScaler?

Thanks

Dave

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Where have you seen the price as being $36.69? AFAIK the full product is $69.95 (or the GBP equivalent) from esellerate, TT's on-line store server.

The best place to learn about FFDSHOW is this intro article which has got many people started, including me. :)

What makes you think you need DScaler?

For DVD playback there are two possible reasons that I can think of, first is to use the MPEG decoder, which IMX is not yet good enough compared to commercial codecs, the second reason would be to use its' 'sharpening' filter.

The full DScaler application is not appropriate for DVD playback, it's used as a video processor mostly for external sources like set-top boxes, external DVD plyters etc.

You'd not need the decoder if you're using TT and IMHO you'd be better advised ignoring the DScaler filter until you've had some experience with FFDSHOW as it comes.

3. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, typo! £36.69 ($69.95)

I'm hoping to feed some s-video sources through a capture card. So I don't need DScaler initially.

Thanks

Dave

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Ah, right, I now understand your mention of DScaler, I just didn't want you to think it was a requirement for DVD playback. :)