• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

Question Newbie struggling with Yamaha WXC-50 and E5 active speaker set up

Kidster

Novice Member
Hi all

Long time lurker here, but big fan of the great help and advice you are willing to share.

I picked up recently a pair of Presonus Eris E5 active speakers, at a great price. I hooked them up to a CCA and after a bit of messing around, had things set up well.

As they are set up in a small office room, where I won't play music loud, I set the input gain level on the speakers to near minimum, and controlled the volume from my phone via the Google Home app. This has been working well with good volume control as I streamed Tidal.

I bought a Yamaha WXC-50 this week as I wanted to hook up a CD player and have a remote control for volume and inputs. Arrived yesterday and I set everything up (correctly I thought), pressed play on Tidal via the Musiccast app and the volume coming from the speakers was 4 - 5 times louder than expected (not great at 10pm at night), but neither the volume dial on the WXC or remote control made any difference.

I know that I had no made any changes to the input gain (speaker volume setting) on the E5s. I was also confident that I had selected the pre-amp switch on the rear of the WXC, and had RCA leads from Aux out to the RCA unbalanced inputs on the speakers.

I reset and reconnected things again this morning, and turned off some of the advanced enhancement settings too via the app. Also had a play with the max vol settings on the app. It makes no difference to volume control via the app, remote or the volume dial on the WXC.

Oddly, I can see the volume slider change in the app, but there is no change in the volume from the speaker

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong somewhere, likely very obvious, but I can't figure it out.

So, any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Update:
So, I had another play around with connections and using the Preout connections from the WXC allows me to adjust volume - Doh!

However, now a new issue. One speaker plays true and firm as before, however, the second is very tinny and muted (like playing from a cheap speaker).

Any suggestions? Going mad over getting this right.

Kidster

Last edited:

gibbsy

However, now a new issue. One speaker plays true and firm as before, however, the second is very tinny and muted (like playing from a cheap speaker).
Double check your wiring.

gibbsy

Thanks - tried this, but no benefit

Think the woofer has actually gone in one of the speakers, so now arranging for an exchange

The joy of tech!
Do you think it happened with the volume so high when you first used the amp?

Kidster

Novice Member
Do you think it happened with the volume so high when you first used the amp?

I don't think so. While loud on 1st connection, it was well below the max I know the speaker can put out.

Plus, it continued to work all last night without issue

gibbsy

Best returned then, which I take is under warranty.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
Have you checked to see that you have the WXC set up as a preamp?

If it’s simply set up as a full output dac then you’ll be lobbing the full 2V+ into the speakers. :eek:

Edit,

Aha. I see you have now but not before.

That’s enough to blow a driver certainly.

Helix Hifi

Hi all

Long time lurker here, but big fan of the great help and advice you are willing to share.

I picked up recently a pair of Presonus Eris E5 active speakers, at a great price. I hooked them up to a CCA and after a bit of messing around, had things set up well.

As they are set up in a small office room, where I won't play music loud, I set the input gain level on the speakers to near minimum, and controlled the volume from my phone via the Google Home app. This has been working well with good volume control as I streamed Tidal.

I bought a Yamaha WXC-50 this week as I wanted to hook up a CD player and have a remote control for volume and inputs. Arrived yesterday and I set everything up (correctly I thought), pressed play on Tidal via the Musiccast app and the volume coming from the speakers was 4 - 5 times louder than expected (not great at 10pm at night), but neither the volume dial on the WXC or remote control made any difference.

I know that I had no made any changes to the input gain (speaker volume setting) on the E5s. I was also confident that I had selected the pre-amp switch on the rear of the WXC, and had RCA leads from Aux out to the RCA unbalanced inputs on the speakers.

I reset and reconnected things again this morning, and turned off some of the advanced enhancement settings too via the app. Also had a play with the max vol settings on the app. It makes no difference to volume control via the app, remote or the volume dial on the WXC.

Oddly, I can see the volume slider change in the app, but there is no change in the volume from the speaker

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong somewhere, likely very obvious, but I can't figure it out.

So, any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Update:
So, I had another play around with connections and using the Preout connections from the WXC allows me to adjust volume - Doh!

Any suggestions? Going mad over getting this right.

Kidster
Probably you been very unlucky when you set your Yamaha, and your active speakers. Most music streamer have apps where you can set it too either fixed gain, or variable. If you set your volume too variable you can control the volume on your pre amp, and your streamer. If you set your volume too fixed volume on the Yamaha the volume is not in use at all. It’s turn up to full, and you only use your pre amp to adjust your amplifier. But this seems to not be the case in your case. Anyway i do hope you get it fixed under warranty. Not to offend you, but probably not. If the shop is nice then maybe.

Last edited:

dogfonos

I set the input gain level on the speakers to near minimum

That's always a good idea in terms of preventing damage to the speaker. I do the same - set active speakers' input control such that accidentally feeding a full strength signal doesn't blast the speakers. This approach is particularly important when initially testing the setup and when making any changes. From what you say, I doubt the drive unit has been over-driven. You're probably just unlucky.

Kidster

Novice Member
That's always a good idea in terms of preventing damage to the speaker. I do the same - set active speakers' input control such that accidentally feeding a full strength signal doesn't blast the speakers. This approach is particularly important when initially testing the setup and when making any changes. From what you say, I doubt the drive unit has been over-driven. You're probably just unlucky.

I think so.

I'd kept the input level low, and while the resulting volume was high on first attempt, it was well within the limits of what I'd tried before with my original CCA setup

thanks all for the advice so far

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom