1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie Speaker Reqs for Sony 1070

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by jfc, Jan 13, 2002.

1. jfc

jfc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I recently bought a (bargain) Sony 1070 from Currys 'moving store' sale for only £200 and a pair of tannoy MX1s for £50. Even as a complete beginner it seemed good value.

Thing is it doesn't Wow! me as much as I expected : I expect its the speaker set up hence the post here.

I use the MX1s as the front pair. a very old Kenwood speaker from a mini system (15 years old) as the center, no sub at all, and two old Wharfedales from an old Pace Sky pro-logic set up for the two rear sats and rear centre (again about 15 years old).

Firstly could you confirm "yep dodgy setup on the speaker front" and then some recommendations on what would bring the package up to scratch.

I dont want to spend more than 400 really and would like to keep the MX1s but can easily move them to my hi-fi setup and get a complete package.

Thanks in advance.
    J,

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Most agree that it is important that the front three speakers are voice matched and the easiest way to do this is to ensure that all three come from the same manufacturer and preferably from the same range.

My advice would be to retire the centre speaker and replace it with the Tannoy MX centre and either buy another pair of MX1 for rear duty or if space permits to move your existing MX1 to the rear and buy a pair of Tannoy floorstanders for the front which should pep up the bass department until the budget allows for a dedicated subwoofer.

3. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As Ian says keep the MX1's for rear duties and try the MX3's have seen them for £138.00 and the MXC for £70.00, that would leave you enough for a sub if you want.

Personally you can't beat a decent sub £500+ but if you were to want one now have a look at the YAMAHA YST-SW305 £198.00 or the YST-SW160 £139.00.

Before i upgraded to a REL i had the SW150 and found it very capable and gave good results...........try a demo.

You may get more suggestions in different makes of subs, when you have a short list give them a good demo, a home demo is always a good idea, as the sub will be set up and sound different in the showroom. ;)

4. jfc

jfc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the support folks.

How about the Mission FS2 package. The whole thing for 450 I see?

A bargain given it looks like 100 + 250 for a half decent centre and sub anyway.
    J.

Note: its a small 13'x13' room and so floorstanders aren't really an option.