Newbie speaker connection help

bigtel7

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm after some help on the best way to connect my amplifier to my speakers and sub.

I have just bought:
Yamaha RXV483 - Yamaha RXV483 (Black)
Canton Movie 75 - Canton MOVIE 75 (Black)
QED Silver Anniversary speaker cable QED SILVER ANNIVERSARYxt

The speaker cable is too thick to fit into the holes of the speakers.

I'm guessing using Banana plugs is a better idea to connect to the amp? Are these easy to fit to the wire?

What's my best option to connect to the speakers? Ideally, I need like a mini banana plug with a 90-degree fitting to get into the hole.

Also, the current way I've connected the sub, is this ok or is there a better way?

As you can tell this is my first time at doing this!

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_5788.JPG
    IMG_5788.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 99
  • IMG_5791.JPG
    IMG_5791.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 112
  • IMG_5787.JPG
    IMG_5787.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 123
  • IMG_5789.JPG
    IMG_5789.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 131
  • IMG_5790.JPG
    IMG_5790.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 111
If you prise the red and black plastic bungs out of the ends of the speaker terminal connectors on the amp and on the speakers, standard banana plugs can be used/inserted which should accommodate the speaker wire you have.

Sub cable is ok as long as it's in the sub out phono on the Yamaha and on an in phono on the sub. If there are L & R inputs on the sub either is ok though most tend to use L.

Last edited:
For the speakers, you can pair down the thickness of cable until it fits. Maybe remove about 25% of the strands, twist really tightly and see if it will squeeze in. If not, take out a few more.

The amp side kbfern has nicely covered for you. If you are struggling for depth, you can use 90 degree plugs to reduce the depth. You may have the same problem with terminating the cables though, so over size 4mm plugs might be better for you, as they have a large receptacle for the cable.

If you believe the 'posh speaker cable sounds better' theory then paring down the cable would work, but doesn't that defeat the point of the nice thick cable? Who knows.

Banana plugs are great for convenience, were a godsend for my Atmos setup when I replaced my receiver. Some people will tell you they compromise the signal path, but I can't tell the difference between them and bare wire.

You could probably return the speaker cable, and then measure the speaker post hole diameter and get something a lot more economical at CPC Farnell or RS etc.

Whether you lose sound quality is debatable. Personally I have just used copper speaker wire of the appropriate gauge for the wire length and carrying capacity. I.e. thick enough to not drop voltage or melt (granted, the latter is unlikely).

Just posting other options - I don't want to start the whole speaker wire flamey debate thing.

The Yamaha will do a good job by the way, I have the 583 as well as an A3050 and they're great machines.

If you believe the 'posh speaker cable sounds better' theory then paring down the cable would work, but doesn't that defeat the point of the nice thick cable?
Not really, it's only the last 6mm you are reducing. The other option would be to solder on a solid core leader and heat shrink over the join. This is the way this cable is often terminated in these situations.

Thanks for all the replies, I'll look at some banana plugs.

Should I be able to remove the end of the speaker terminal to fit a banana plug? It seems fixed but I didn't want to force and scratch it.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_5791.JPG
    IMG_5791.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 62

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom