Newbie Speaker advice - just bought wharfdales

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by gz5ztg, Jan 31, 2002.

1. gz5ztg

gz5ztg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I am worried that I have made a daft choice. I recently bought a Marantz SR4200 amp for music and home cinema use and a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 8.2s to use with it.

I am not completely satisfied with the sound I get from the 8.2s and am wondering if I should use these as rears and get a pair of floorstanders for the front speakers. The problem is that the sound doesn't seem quite as full as my old Sony system, I am wondering if I am expecting too much from a pair of bookshelf speakers.

Would biwiring make much of a difference to my wharfedales, perhaps they need "breaking in"?? I am unsure.

Should I just try to sell them and get a pack like the Mission pack from Richer Sounds?

2. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did you not listen to the 8.2's before you bought them........and do you have a sub in your set up?
    What centre do you have?
    From Hi-Fi choice............and they were impressed.
    From what i have read they say..... bookshelf speakers can be stand mounted for the front or used as rears.
    I would recommend a sub with them.....

You could buy floorstanders for the front L/R and use 8.2's for the rears, with/without a sub, depends how much bass you like.
    Buy a another pair of 8.2's and a decent sub...........

3. graham_ew

graham_ew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the 8.2's as my fronts with the matching centre and they sound great very tight and clear but with plenty of sound, I am usind a sub (only a cheapish one) but i have since turnd the settings down a bit on that, as I was getting too much THUMP!! I am using a pioneer vsx 709 to power them (not bi-wired). I must say i am more than happy with them