Newbie - sound distortion on new hifi setup

pconc

Standard Member
Hi

Complete newbie/novice to the world of hi-fi etc but recently bought myself a new system comprising of...
  • Rega Planar 1 Turntable
  • Cambridge AXA35 Amplifier
  • Rega fono mini A2D phono/pre-amp
  • Q Acoustics 3020i Speakers
  • Tellerium Q Blue II speaker cables & QED Perfomance Audio Cables

Finally had chance to set it up this weekend & there's a horrible distortion sound (making the sound of the playing record pretty much completely unrecognisable) when attempting to play vinyls from the turntable. Checked cables & they all appear to be in correctly & directionally correct etc?

I purchased a separate DAC (iFi Blue Zen) & have connected my iPhone & streamed music through Deezer through to the speakers & it sounds perfectly fine (albeit to an untrained ear).

Like I said I'm a novice, but does that mean the speaker cables are working OK (iFi Blue to amp to speakers)? If so can only determne the issue could be something to do with the connection between the turntable, phono amp & amplifier?

All situated in a mancave of sorts. Turntable is on a bookshelf, amp & separates are on a shelf underneath. Speakers are on stands about a metre away from the turntable.

Just wondering if anyone can possibly shed any light on what they think the issue could be?

Thanks in advance

acgingersnaps

Hi. What RCA input, on the amp, are you using for the phono stage? You're not using the mm one are you?

Hokusai Wave

You are not using the pre amp with the phono socket in the amp are you?

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
Sounds like you have plugged an amplified signal into a input which is then amplifying the signal again thus giving you an unwanted level of distortion. I'm not sure if you can switch the built-in MM phono stage off on the Rega. If not, simply plug the turntable into another set of RCA inputs at the rear of the amp

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
As above - Planar 1 to Rega font to AXA35 connection A1/2/3 (not phono).

Alternatively - Planar 1 directly to AXA35 Phono. This will check if the Fono is ok and the planar is ok.

pconc

Standard Member
Hello all.

Just logged onto see if any replies & didn't expect a response so thanks very much indeed. I'm just going to try what's been suggested & will let you know.

Thanks again

pconc

Standard Member
Zach Galifianakis Thank You GIF

pconc

Standard Member
Had it plugged into Phono. Switched to A1 & working & sounding like a dream.

Liverpool win & got my setup working....what a day.

Thanks again 👏

Hokusai Wave

Thanks again 👏
Have you tried just connecting the turntable to the phono without the pre-amp...if it sounds the same why not try and send the pre amp back for a refund.

Ugg10

Distinguished Member

Thanks again 👏

Well, that’s the last time I help you out!

(from a Villa fan) :D

PS glad we got you sorted, enjoy.

NifkinFZ6

This. Do and A/B test and if there's little difference, get rid of the phono stage.
Yes: I doubt there is much difference between the Rega Mini and the one built in to the amp: the Rega Mini is intended as a stopgap solution if you own an amplifier with no phono stage of its own.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom