Newbie Sky+ (and DVD recording) question

A

astep70uk

OK, I'm a newbie so please be gentle. I've been looking at getting sky+ for a while now but can't decide between the 160 or the standard. I'm looking to record (mainly kids programmes) onto sky+ and then archive to DVD with DVD recorder. From reading the forums I understand that you have to watch your recordings on sky+ to be able to record them onto DVD. Thing is, I don't want to sit and watch a full series of 'Mr Benn'!
Also, am I worth spending the extra cash getting a sky+ 160 box when i'm going to archive everything off to DVD?? or should I save the money and get a better DVD recorder?? :confused: Thanks in advance!

I've been a Sky+ plus owner for a number of years and have the old version of the smaller hard drive. If you have the facility to record from Sky+ to DVD I see no reason why you need the bigger hard drive.
I've never tried recording but I don't think you have to watch a program before to drop it down onto video or DVD, I would be very surprised if this was the case.
Next year a new version of Sky+ is coming our with HD capabilities :clap: :clap: :clap: , and therefore a massive hard disk. My personal plan is to upgrade to this a soon as it's available.
So unless you have no interest in high def TV my advice would be the cheaper version to tide you over until Sky+HD comes along

Hope that helps :thumbsup:

If yr just gonna be recording from time to time, with the intention of archiving, a DVD/HDD recorder is your best bet. I had to make the same decision myself last xmas....

Of course, you lose the facility to record one sky channel/watch another, but the bonus is not having to sit thru your recordings again whilst you archive them to disk.

If you can afford it, however, get both :)

Thanks. Can you recommend a DVD/HDD recorder which isn't too expensive?? How would this work? Would I just copy programmes from the sky+ HD to the DVD/HDD recorder hard drive? :confused:

I've got a Toshiba XS32 (now upgraded to XS34) which has been fantastic since the day i bought it. You should be able to pick one up for around £300 (or a bit more for the newer model).

If you decide just to opt for a HDD/DVD recorder, it's just like using a VCR, except you can edit adverts and stuff out before you burn to DVD.
If you decide you want a Sky+ box, too, i'm afraid you're gonna have to watch all your (Sky+) recorded shows again whilst you record them to HDD/DVD (as you quite rightly stated in your first post).

Just ask yourself the question - do i really need the ability to watch/record 2 different Sky channels at the same time? It sounds to me from your previous statements that you don't really need this facility (therefore it's not really worth the extra expenditure).

In your case, i'd just go for a decent HDD/DVD recorder - you'll have a real blast using it (editing shows and burning discs, etc.) and it should allow you to do exactly what you need to do.

Post another msg if yr still not sure which route to follow....

Good Luck :) :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom