1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie setup problems

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by robbieowens, Sep 4, 2004.

1. robbieowens

robbieowens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone, thought this HCPC lark would be a doddle, how wrong was I!

I have built the folowing HCPC

Silverstone LC03 case
    Asus A7N8X-X motherboard
    Athlon 3200+ XP CPU
    512 MB Crucial RAM
    WinTV-PVR 350
    Radeon 128MB 9200SE

Software
    Windows XP Professional SP2
    Meedio Essentials (trial version at the moment)

I want to be able to do all the normal HCPC stuff (record TV view photos etc..).

The PC went together fine but now I'm stuck.

The first issue being how do I connect everything together.

This is what I tried- I get TV through NTL cable- this only has a scart output, so I thought this should be connected to the S-Video input on the WinTV PVR card. Then from the S-Video output on the WinTV card I connect to the scart on the TV. (The TV is a LG 28", 1 Scart, 1 S-Video, 1 Composite).

I also thought I needed to connect the HCPC to the TV through the graphics card (Radeon 9200SE), this is done through Composite as Graphics card only has Composite, VGA and DVI.

Is this correct? or do I really not know what I am doing?

Ok, with all this connected, I power everything on, no picture....nothing. So I connect my monitor to the VGA output on the graphics card and try again- this time after a couple of reboots and changing the settings on the display to get a dual display, I have a very blurred desktop on my TV...getting better I thought. However when I try and start Meedio, or open Media Player, anything really, I got a blue screen...this happened about 3 times and then the I gave up.

Anybody help please, somebody must know what their doing?

Many thanks
    Rob

2. robbieowens

robbieowens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anybody got any advice, I really am struggling to understand the best methods of connecting everything

Thanks

3. chilpillphil3

chilpillphil3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok im gonna try and help, tho i do not have a HCPC.

Ok well it will be burry on the desktop because its not the correct resolution.
    To get the video to come on the tv you need to do the following

Right click on the desktop ---> Propertys --- > Settings Tab --> advance ---> Displays tab --> Then select TV.

I hope this gets you started tho i cannot offer much other help.

Let me know how you get on :)

4. robbieowens

robbieowens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply chil,

It is not a resloution issue, I have tried all the resloutions available, the best I have is 800x600 with a DPI set to 120. This is still blurred - I thnk I was perhaps expecting a bit too much and will have to wait for a plasma for a better resolution.

The main problem I had was in ny cabling setup, was the manner in which this was all connected casuing a problem - I have since learnt from more research that it should be ok.

As for the blue screening, I think this is down to the combination of apps I have on the box, in the process of determining the best Media Center /PVR software I have installed many apps, this has possibly caused the problem hence I am going to rebuild the box but restrict the apps to the ones I like.

Thanks anyway.

5. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    your Video card (9200SE) should have s-video

6. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Assuming your tv has no vga in, then a connection via composite or svideo from your graphics card will never look great for trying to read text/display the desktop because the tv resolution/refresh rate is insufficent to do the HTPC justice.