1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie seeks help with (probably obvious) problem...

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by ste333, Aug 14, 2004.

1. ste333

ste333

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello !

I have just been trying to locate a solution for a problem I have in attempting to play movies with surround sound through my DVD player.

Approximately a year ago, I went to a PC Fair and picked up a set of 5.1 speakers (Make and Model - Jazz 9902) details of which are on the following link.

http://www.comelsoft.com/images/speakers/jazz9902.htm

The problem is that my DVD player has a digital out socket, and the speaker amplifier box has a 3.5mm input. Is there any sort of converter that anyone knows of that can convert the output from the DVD to an input that my speakers can cope with?

In an ideal world, I would buy a 5.1 or 6.1 speaker system with digital input, but the problem is I am skint as hell (my cat got run over the other week, and the vet bill is huge)!

Sorry to ask what is probably a completely daft question, but the knowleadge I have on this issue could probably be written on the back of a fag packet. :confused:

Thanks very much,

Steve.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Your speaker system doesn't have a Dolby Digital decoder in it so you need to use a DVD player that has an inbuilt decoder. Your system has a six channel input for the connection of a suitably equipped DVD player but unfortunately the digital socket on your player is of no use to you as it is designed to be connected to an amp that can decode the signals and not an old fashioned Pro Logic amp

3. ste333

ste333

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I had an idea that might have been the case, but was hoping against hope that there might have been a cheap way round it !

Never mind, looks like I'll have to save for a proper speaker setup.

Thanks again,

Steve.