Newbie: Seeks 37"-40" TV Buying Advice!

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by Millsinho, Jan 15, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Millsinho

Millsinho
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi. As several threads in this forum have provided me with some interesting reading and a couple of useful tips in the past, I have now decided to register in the hope of gaining a bit of useful advice.

I currently own a 1-year old 26" Samung LCD, and I am looking to upgrade to something a bit bigger. I use the TV for viewing SD freeview, and I also own a PS3 which I use for watching DVDs, Blurays and gaming. My viewing distance is just over 3 metres (or 10-10.5 feet in old money).

My initial leaning is towards getting a 37-40 incher, (possibly even up to a maximum of 42 inches, but then it would have to have a lot going for it to
    justify the rearranging of my lounge needed to accomodate it!).

What makes/models would you recommend, and what are your thoughts on 720p vs 1080p at these screen sizes & viewing distance?

I am willing to spend between £600 and £1000, and am pretty open minded as far as the plasma vs LCD debate is concerned.

2. Reg

Reg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I'm looking for a 37" screen for my lounge and have decided on the Panasonic TX-37LZD70 after viewing it in John Lewis this afternoon.

I wanted a 42, but have decided its too big for the lounge.

The 37LZD70 is £800 from empire direct.

This is only my view, I would strongly recommend going to a shop and viewing them for yourself. Currys/comet are rubbish, John Lewis was the only place I could view a good range of tv's on normal SD viewing. I was really impressed with the SD picture compared to the other LCDs on display.

I'd go for a full 1080P screen seeing as you have a PS3., though I'm sure people will say that sitting 3metres away 720 will be sufficient.

Love to here what other people suggest.....

3. KUBBY

KUBBY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +664
    Hi.

Have you been happy with the Samsung that you have?

If so why change. a 37 or 40 m87 would seem to fit the bill.1920 x 1080 will certainly fit the Blu-Ray!

Available on line for around £725/750.which is a bit of a sickener as I paid £880 for mine!

KH

4. Millsinho

Millsinho
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for the replies.

I agree that the Panasonics seem a very good buy, but from what I have read and I'd be tempted to go for the 37" Plasma rather than it's LCD counterpart. Granted you get 1080p with the LCD, but the overall picture quality on the 720p plasma is supposed to be excellent. I think my best bet is to take your advice and have a look in somewhere like John Lewis' and decide for myself.

As far as the Samsung is concerned: yes, I am happy with the one I currently have (apart from it's size of course). Decent picture quality, most of the features I want, and - call me shallow - but it's a good looking set too. At that price I'll definitely do some research on the model you mentioned and see if it fits the bill.

I can see this decision coming down too whether or not I think 1080p is a must have feature or not. Any thoughts on that for this screem size and viewing distance?

5. Damian Briden

Damian Briden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Bloody difficult isn't it!

I had a very nice 26" JVC HD LCD, but since moving house and finally getting my own den I upgraded just before Christmas to the 37 Panny LCD - and flogged the lovely JVC to my sister....

Do a search for me: Damian Briden to see a few pics...

As you'll find from many posts, at this size most can't tell the difference between 1080p/i, and as I mentioned earlier somewhere, a friend who works for games firm Rare couldn't see any difference on their 50" set-up...!

I can't tell any difference from the JVC that was outputting at 720p - I just wanted to go bigger and liked the Panasonic set..... and it looked in proportion to the furniture/room....

I made a scale mock up of the Toshiba 42" (I work in graphics so have access to big printers!), and for me, a 42" was just too big when sitting 5 1/2 - 6' away.....

Then you'll worry that it's not 100Hz... plus there's still debate about screen burn on a plasma, and its operating buzz, and a running in period.... sorry, but I have a near 2 hour drive home from work and I want to play, not sit around mothering the tv screen!!!

Any questions, please ask - don't worry yourself to an early grave! ... and remember, whichever one you choose, it's all down to personal choice and there will be a new model out in another 6 months!!!!

Regards,

Damian

6. Millsinho

Millsinho
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have done a bit more research, which is leading me towards a couple of conclusions:

1) At my viewing distance (which I have measured to be 9.5 feet rather than 10.5 feet as I previously thought), I shouldn't base my decision on whether the set is 1080p or not because the difference would be negligible on a 37/40" inch screen.

2) Bearing this in mind, if I am going to go for a 37" set, the Panasonic 37PX70 (Plasma) is currently topping my shortlist due to it's of picture quality and SD performance.

Although I'm narrowing my search down a bit, I've got a couple of new questions which I would be really grateful for any advice on:

1) As the 37" Panny has a resolution of 1024x720 and the pixels are elongated in the horizontal direction, does this mean that the image on the screen is stretched with it's ends clipped off? (Sorry if this sounds like a rediculously noob-ish question, but I can't seem to find the answer anywhere else!).

2) I'm still not sure whether it's worth going for a 40" set instead of 37". In the shops, the difference doesn't seem that big a deal, but how noticeable is it once you get it back to your house and set up in a smaller room?